dash light problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dash light problem

I lost my dash lights' but had all my other instrument panel lights, I thought that perhaps it was the cluster. I replaced the cluster but still no dash lights. anyone else have this problem? and if so could you please give me some advice on how to repair it? 1991 red GL.
    Thank You.
    pickster1107

I had an issue with my 93 and losing dash lights and it was the dash light dimmer switch also check and make sure your tail lights work because the dash lights and tail lights are on the sam fuse could be a blown fuse
    Justin Craig Paola Kansas my 4 passions, demolition derby,Ford 2.3s, my festiva and my kids

Comment

I replaced the Dash light dimmer switch, still have the same problem. I guess the new switch could be bad as well, however when I turn it down the radio light dims. the tail lights work with either switch. only thing I can't get to work is the dash lights. also checked all the fuses and they were all good.
      Thanks for your reply.
      Last edited by pickster1107; 04-28-2012, 10:00 PM.
      pickster1107

Comment

I replaced all the bulbs in my 91GL. And everything works fine now. Before only the light in the center of cluster would light-up. I could'nt find the exact size for all the little bulbs that run across the top of the cluster but the ones I found were close enought and they worked. Good Luck!

Comment

Yes, I am talking about only the cluster bulbs. But I went back and re-read what you had said. I am only talking about the gauge cluster, is that what you're talking about? Or are you talking about the center A/C controlpanel lights? If it is the guages we are talking about, they have little black tabs all along the back of the cluster that you give a little half twist with some needle nose or something of that sort. They come out and thats where you're bulbs are placed, on the tabs themselves. Those tabs, once twisted to proper position, are what make the contact for the 12volts the lights need to work. Good Luck! and let me know how you fare out. You can't receive PM,s so thats why I answered here. And by the way I started with my dimmer switch first also but since it did work on A/C panel and radio, I went for the bulbs.
          Last edited by mannyd; 04-29-2012, 12:32 PM.

Comment

You may have a crack in the board or a break at the connector. Hook a test light to a good ground and you can follow the positive to all the bulbs. If that checks out hook the test
            light to positive and you can follow the ground to all the bulbs.
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Thanks for your reply, we are talking about the same lights. what I have figured out so far is that I will probably have to replace the entire set of 4 lights as I can see no way for them to come out of the little black sockets that hold them. I have tried a pliers but only succeeded in breaking one of the bulbs. as for not being able to pm me I don't yet know how to change the settings. I have only been aboard for about a week now. sorry. I believe I have solved the pm problem but not sure.
              Last edited by pickster1107; 04-29-2012, 01:34 PM.
              pickster1107

Comment

Originally posted by pickster1107 View Post
                Thanks for your reply, we are talking about the same lights. what I have figured out so far is that I will probably have to replace the entire set of 4 lights as I can see no way for them to come out of the little black sockets that hold them. I have tried a pliers but only succeeded in breaking one of the bulbs. as for not being able to pm me I don't yet know how to change the settings. I have only been aboard for about a week now. sorry. I believe I have solved the pm problem but not sure.
                I had trouble pulling out the bulbs as well, but I wiggled them out a little at a time and got them all out to replace them. I guess there pretty stuck in there because of the years they have been in there. But anyway, Good Luck!

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, the setup is similar to the old style Christmas lights in that if one goes out, they all do, whether they're blown or not.
                  In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                  There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

dash light problems

Thanks to Mannyd and Driverone for the advice on my dash light problem, I finally got the little buggers out of the socket and now it's on to an auto store tomorrow to find replacements! I will keep you posted as to what happens. thanks again for your help guys!
                    pickster1107

Comment

Well, the new little cluster bulbs is not the problem. got it narrowed down to a wiring problem now, will tackle that tomorrow. Thanks to Josh from Richmond! soon my 91 Festiva GL will be sporting a new fender!!
                      pickster1107

Comment

Working...
                      X