Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Cam Bolt

Hi Everyone,

A good friend that bought my beloved 89 Festiva a few years ago has an issue we're trying to fix.

Does anyone have an idea to get the broken piece of the bolt out?

FX
    Because....45 MPG.

? is really why did it break ? If it was done with a wrench then i would drill it and use an easy out to remove . But i would ck first if the cam was locked up .
    New build on the way .

Comment

Try a left hand drill bits first..smallest size first.
      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Betcha he was trying to turn the motor over via the cam bolt. Once the bolt breaks, it should be loose in the threads and can be spun out with a punch and hammer unless the threads are boogered.

Comment

Nothing like experience ^^^ to recognize cause and effect!!
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

^Actually I figgered that a 10mm or so bolt would not withstand the torque of turning a cam 1:1 plus compression 1:2. And it's in a convenient spot!

Comment

If you drill it, use a center punch to mark the exact center of the bolt to give the drill a starting point. Don't just start to drill and let the bit "walk" around until it finds a spot to start. There's nothing worse than to have your e-z out hole drilled with a big chunk of metal left on one side of the bolt and the other side of your hole is into the threads on the edge.
              You gonna race that thing?
              http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                Try a left hand drill bits first..smallest size first.
                L/H drill bits are my friend!
                Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Epoxy stick on the broken bit of bolt, don't get it near the edges, and stick it back in. Try to brace it tightly, then turn the bolt out.

Drill and use a L/H bit to remove it.

Drill the whole of the bolt shaft and ream the threads.

Comment

I agree with Shadetree................why did the bolt break? Did he break it off himself or did the cam lock up? Did the drive pin shear off or fall out??

Depending on the age & condition of the engine, I would just replace the whole camshaft with another used one. I have a good cam from an early B6 I would give you for free, but it takes HLA's. It has a fuel pump lobe cast on it but it isn't fully machined, so I don't think it will work on your '89.
                    Last edited by blkfordsedan; 05-01-2012, 09:33 AM.
                    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

I dont work with festys very much but wouldnt be easier to grab another cam from a junker and slam it in there?

Less PITA if you ask me.

Comment

Ifits already timed and together its a tossup in pita's. I have tools I've never used so I'd be inclined the lh drill methods first
                        1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Exact thing happened to me, 5kms from home the day I bought it!
                          Managed to tap, tap, tap it out with a small centre punch and light taps with a hammer.

Funny thing though, on searching for a solution I found ff.com and that initial "tap, tap" has turned into the complete rebuild!

Back to point, it turned out the previous owner had just done the timing belt and aparently "over torqued the bolt".........
                          60% of the time it works, every time!

Comment

Working...
                          X