Rolls when in gear why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolls when in gear why?

Recently bought an 88 stiva 21000 original miles, 4speed it has been hit light in the front and been sitting since 1990. There was no contact damage to the engine or trans mostly cosmetic and radiator was damaged. When put in any gear including reverse the car stills rolls like it's in neutral any suggestions as to why this is happening would be helpful.

Clutch/diff damaged, either during the accident, or due to misuse by the owner. An extremely loose engine can allow the vehicle to roll as well.

Is it 21k or 210k?

Comment

Only 21k I also bought a rollover from the same guy an 89 fi model with 2440 original miles crazy finds huh!

Comment

Have you attempted to drive the one that rolls in gear? Be extremely careful if you do.. if the diff is broken enough, it may force the pin or a chunk of gear through the housing and ruin the transmission completely.

Comment

No I haven't even started the car yet only started to fix the collision but there is no obvious damage to motor or tranny the car was hit high in the front so I couldn't see how damage from the wreck could have happened. And with such low miles wouldn't think any thing could of been wrong with the clutch

Comment

It has been sitting for 20years could moisture have rusted anything on the clutch to make this happen?

Comment

20 years sitting? put a little oil in the cylinders and run it a bit, compression
              should come back.
              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Yeah, there's a pretty good chance its' got stuck rings and isn't holding/making compression. I didn't think about that LOL.

Comment

if the thing is stuck that bad then the engine would seize and it wouldn't roll at all I'd say.
                  89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
                  94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
                  2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
                  1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Originally posted by Nerd Racing View Post
                    if the thing is stuck that bad then the engine would seize and it wouldn't roll at all I'd say.
                    Rings stuck to the piston grooves, not stuck to the cylinders.

Comment

rust will cause a clutch to stick in place too, be it engaged or disengaged.

Comment

Probably nothing stuck, just dry. Oil it and race it!!
                        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

If there is no resistance at all, something is broke. If there is some resistance, motor has issues.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigsT8Dstiva View Post
                            ...it has been hit light in the front and been sitting since 1990. There was no contact damage to the engine or trans mostly cosmetic and radiator was damaged. When put in any gear including reverse the car stills rolls like it's in neutral any suggestions as to why this is happening would be helpful.
                            Originally posted by CraigsT8Dstiva View Post
                            No I haven't even started the car yet...but there is no obvious damage to motor or tranny the car was hit high in the front so I couldn't see how damage from the wreck could have happened.
                            Well there's the problem. Yes, there is damage, and the guy who sold it to you knows too. That's just a little something for you to remember for the future.
                            Visualize this: If the car got hit while parked in gear, it could have busted one or both of the cv axles joints. You'd get the sensation of it not being in gear. Another thing that happens is, tow truck companies are notorious for towing cars from the wrong end when it's blocking something in and they can't get to the correct end of the car. That tends to damage a lot of stuff that doesn't get found out till much later. Not always 22 years, but I believe you get my point.
                            Last edited by iceracerdude; 04-30-2012, 06:16 AM.
                            97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                            CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                            Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Make sure both axles are in tight to the transmission. If one side has popped out, that will let it roll in gear.
                              You gonna race that thing?
                              http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X