Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speedo Acting Funny, and Some Cluster Qs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo Acting Funny, and Some Cluster Qs.

My Instrument Cluster has been working great for years, till yesterday when I replaced my "cluster peanut bulbs" to red, it looks great and all when I installed it. Except for 3 things! The speedo stopped working even if I connected it properly, the gauges don't work and the warning lights all stopped working. JEEZ! I had everything on properly (I think). My speedo is actually connected and when I take off the speedo's cap thingy, and leave it loose the speedometer works, but jerks up and down a bit. When I put that cap thingy on, it doesn't work or gets stuck if I get lucky when I get it working.

My question is, How do I properly reinstall the speedo-cable? Do you guys have any advice on this? Also, is there a spray I can use to clean the contacts on the cluster that won't short-circuit it also?

Thanks a lot!
    '98 Kia Pride CD-5 B1 5MT (Daily Driver in Philippines)
    '97 Honda Civic EK 5MT D15 VTEC $50 coilovers (Deceased, previous DD)
    '03 Corolla S 4AT Megan Coilovers 17" tC's. (Daily Driver in Las Vegas)

I had the most fun in the Kia

maybe the cable and harness's were not pushed in all the way?
    69 Shelby GT-350, 351W, 4 spd
    97 Jag xk8 vert
    06 Mini Cooper S GP
    93 Stiva
    04 Volvo S80

Comment

ok, the base of the speedo cable isn't recessed into the notch of the gear assembly properly (that's why when you loosen the retainer, the cable starts working again, as it's no longer bound up in the assembly). i would then inspect your GAUGES fuse to make sure it didn't pop, then reguardless of the fuse's condition, verify that the 2 connectors on the back of the cluster are clocked properly and seated. you may notice some pins pushed out of the connectors, but the likelyhood of that is low.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

There is only one way to push the cable into that hole right? It seems snug. Should I push it in more?

Is the gauge fuse included in that fuse box thing your left leg would be hitting when driving? I should check that last thing you mentioned, I may have used too much force to pull the harness.

Thanks.
        '98 Kia Pride CD-5 B1 5MT (Daily Driver in Philippines)
        '97 Honda Civic EK 5MT D15 VTEC $50 coilovers (Deceased, previous DD)
        '03 Corolla S 4AT Megan Coilovers 17" tC's. (Daily Driver in Las Vegas)

I had the most fun in the Kia

Comment

yeah there's only one way for the cable to go in to the gear assm (it's keyed), but it can be forced on and cause binding as described above. you may want to also make sure the cable sleave is fully seated, it can be forced out of place if the cable wasn't insterted properly.

Gauge fuse is located in the fuse box at your left knee.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
          X