B6T Running Lean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B6T Running Lean?

Pretty sure it is. Plugs look to be getting too hot to me.

All 4 are like that.

It's not running quite right either. At WOT it sort of gets soggy as RPM rises, and at 3k and beyond it nearly gives up and dies.

I've replaced the fuel pump because I don't like the idea of possibly having a 20+ year old pump on a turbo car, so it should be good. I'm thinking FPR. I don't know much about boost as this is my first boosted motor ever, so I'm open to info.

Thinking of just grabbing an aftermarket adjustable FPR. If I do, at what pressure should I set it for a stockish B6T?
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Forgot I had a 323 FSM.

Says 24.2-31.3psi under normal conditions. Seems like a large amount of tolerance. Should I aim low or high with the adjustable FPR?

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Do you not have a wideband? That will be a lot more accurate at reading air fuel ratios and tell you a whole lot more.

You may hear it a lot but a wideband truly is something every turbo car should have, even if it's stock and you don't think anything is wrong.

Going WOT a lot and going lean is horrible, it make me cringe.
      Last edited by Grey Vw; 05-02-2012, 03:10 PM.
      91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
      14 C7 Z51

Comment

No wideband at the moment. I do have an EGT setup that I've not installed yet, though.

Will probably get one soon.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

ok there's misfiring going on there for sure (too much carbon at the thread area). you should throw a new set in (with the engine up to temp) and flog it for about a mile and post new pix, i can help from there.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

^Will do. New plugs will have to wait till tomorrow, but I'll post up pics asap.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Reading plugs with today's pump fuels can be deceiving. White electrodes don't always indicate a lean condition. Mine are usually fairly light colored and my car runs in the high 12:1 range under boost at wot. Your sluggish feeling could be ignition timing related too,as I've found the b6t to be a little sensitive to timing. Definitely do as Arty suggested though for a clearer reading.
              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I did read of someone with the same symptoms advancing to 12 instead of the 8 that he had, and it fixed it. So, I'll check that too.

I also knocked the gap down to .030 while they were out and flared the plug wire ends out a bit to snug them up in the dist cap. They were pretty loose. New ones are coming soon. It seemed to help the idle a bit, but that could be the nice warm weather too. Previously it would want to idle between 1k and 1.6k at startup and never went below 1k even after warm. Now it starts at probably 900rpm and is steady, but again don't know for sure why.
                Last edited by sketchman; 05-02-2012, 05:04 PM.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

both my b6t cars idle differently depending on the day and the mood they are in. My Festiva loves to idle at 600rpm, but it's nice and smooth and has plenty of oil pressure, so I just let it do what it wants. The Capri likes 1000 rpm, but it will creep up to 1200 at times.
                  Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Fuel pressure should be closer to 40-50psi at idle.
                    1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
                    High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
                    Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
                      Fuel pressure should be closer to 40-50psi at idle.
                      I checked it again. Says at idle it should be 24.1-31.3psi, and with the vac hose to the FPR disconnected(times other than idle right?) should be 34.8-40.5psi.

This is from a 1988 323 FSM.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Those plugs are close to detonation, does the 323 have a knock sensor?
                        You can see the heat trail clear into the threads!!
                        Get back with Arty before something else gets too hot!!
                        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by sketchman View Post
                          I did read of someone with the same symptoms advancing to 12 instead of the 8 that he had, and it fixed it. So, I'll check that too.

I also knocked the gap down to .030 while they were out and flared the plug wire ends out a bit to snug them up in the dist cap. They were pretty loose. New ones are coming soon. It seemed to help the idle a bit, but that could be the nice warm weather too. Previously it would want to idle between 1k and 1.6k at startup and never went below 1k even after warm. Now it starts at probably 900rpm and is steady, but again don't know for sure why.
                          Your timing is at *8? Factory spec is 11*-13*. When I first started up the new engine the timing was at *8 then I got it to *12 and it sounded a lot better.
                          91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
                          14 C7 Z51

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Vw View Post
                            Your timing is at *8? Factory spec is 11*-13*. When I first started up the new engine the timing was at *8 then I got it to *12 and it sounded a lot better.
                            Don't know what mine is. Haven't checked it yet. I was just searching for general info and found a post from clubprotege that said that.

Timing light's in the mail. Pics of new plugs hopefully tomorrow morning. I'll keep it out of boost as much as possible till then.
                            Last edited by sketchman; 05-03-2012, 10:19 AM.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Maybe more evidence of the problem? Original motor blew and it was replaced before I bought the car. This is what happened to the old motor.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Working...
                              X