fuel pump problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel pump problem

I'm having some problems with my 93 festiva. It will turn over but wouldn't start...so I check to make sure the fuel pump was running..and it wasn't...so I replaced it. Then the car started right off. I drove it for 2 days without any issues. Then it sat for a day and a half and now it won't start again..and you can't hear the fuel pump running. Could it be something besides the fuel pump? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Very Frustrated!!

Did you check all electrical connections? Maybe something came loose.

Was it a new pump or used?

How clean was your tank? Tank should be cleaned before installing another pump. Sock should be new, too, I've read.

I'll be doing this very soon, to get my '92L running. New tank and used pump (with new sock filter). New fuel filter and blow out all the fuel lines. I'll remove and check the fuel system at the engine too (lines and rail). Old tank was rusted beyond belief.

Good luck!

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I did check all of the elec connection on the sending unit and pump...is there others I should check?

Comment

Check your fuse links located on the shock tower. One of them will keep the car from starting but it will crank.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
        BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
        BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
        New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

Don't forget to check the fuel pump safety cut off located on the passenger side rear strut tower. make sure the little red button is pushed in
          Paul
          91GL
          Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

Re: fuel pump problem

Originally posted by pegger1
            I'm having some problems with my 93 festiva. It will turn over but wouldn't start...so I check to make sure the fuel pump was running..and it wasn't...so I replaced it. Then the car started right off. I drove it for 2 days without any issues. Then it sat for a day and a half and now it won't start again..and you can't hear the fuel pump running.

Thanks!

Very Frustrated!!

You say you can hear the pump run ,but no start still,
            when you put the new pump in did you put the O-ring retainer on the pipe before you put the O-ring in , If not the car will run for a day ,and then the o-ring pushes out and you lose all you pressure in the tank and don't really get enough psi to run the engine .
            ------------------------------------------------
            The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
            Smart Passion white with H-D interior
            HD2500 Duramax Chevy
            Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
            Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
            Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
            Z28 LS1 power 500 +
            90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
            It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

first of all

when you turn the key on, the fuel pump is not suppose to run
              it only runs when you crank the engine

Comment

fuel pump

i have the same problem with my 1993 gl. i was told it may be a bad vaf meter but i have not changed it yet. i replaced the coolent temp sensor but it still will not start. i have good fire to the plugs and hoses to vaf meter box are all good. yesterday after about 10 tries it finally started and ran rough for about 5 minuts and cleared out. then i turned it off and restarted with no problem and ran it for a while now today it does not start.

Comment

fuel pump

i jiggled the fusable links and my car started on the first time but i do not really know if that was the problem but the car started and ran well.
                  we have has some cold and rainey weather could that cause a problem? it always happens when sitting over night.

Comment

"Cold and rainy weather?"

YEP!!

It could be your distributor or other electrical ignition system components are getting too much moisture because they are not sealed too well.

Check your distributor cap and rotor, plug wires, spark plugs, etc. Remove them all, clean them up, dry them off, and use some electrical grease and WD-40 to help keep out the water.

Karl
                    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
                    X