Oil Blow-by

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Blow-by

Hey guys,I want to run a theory past you.Its an open ended question. If your B3 has lots of blow-by. And it has a substantial oil leak.@ oil pan/Dizzy O-ring/Cam seal or oil pump seal . Couldnt the blow-by be a symptom of the absence of a good crankcase seal? If the leak is large enough(like the one on my ATX). How is the Crankcase ever gonna see vaccum?
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

It is more than likely the complete opposite of that. The blow could be causing the large oil leaks caused by excessive crank case pressure forcing past the seals, not having enough vaccum to compensate for blow-by. Perform a compression test, if any are low, I'm guessing they will be, perform a cylinder leak down test to conferm the rings/walls are worn.
    Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
    93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
    91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
    93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
    15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
    88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Originally posted by gauge_half_inch View Post
      It is more than likely the complete opposite of that. The blow could be causing the large oil leaks caused by excessive crank case pressure forcing past the seals, not having enough vaccum to compensate for blow-by. Perform a compression test, if any are low, I'm guessing they will be, perform a cylinder leak down test to conferm the rings/walls are worn.
      OK,sounds good,I'll report back. Its leaks like a seive when running at idle.Shut it off and it stops.
      Last edited by nitrofarm; 05-06-2012, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Gauge gave it to you right on! Blow by makes pressure in the engine . Gaskets and seals
        are not designed for pressure or vacuum, ventilation of fumes is what you are looking
        for, this prevents internal rust and break down of the oil. A small amount of blow by is normal.
        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

So the crankcase isnt under neg press with a good working PCV system?

Comment

Correct, the vaccum should be relatively equal to the blow-by created by a healthy engine.
            Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
            93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
            91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
            93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
            15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
            88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Simply going to synthetic oil and boosting a leaky engine actually helps. It sounds like the worst idea but I've done it myself to fords and other people with mazda engines have experienced this. It depends on which rings are bad anything or just dirty. If it's a top end issue nothing will change. Always check that the pcv valve good, wait don't check it just buy a new one. I hate the rattle test.
              1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Even with a properly operating PCV system, it's drawing it's vacuum from the intake manifold. When you're under WOT, you have zero vacuum since everything is at equilibrium. If you have blow-by issues, high cylinder pressures @ WOT make the blow-by the greatest at the time when you have no vacuum. In addition, the fresh (and metered) air inlet that goes from the air intake tube to the valve cover should reduce any vacuum created in the crankcase to a minimum....just enough to create air flow circulation in the system. If you plug the fresh air inlet and pull a vacuum on the crankcase, the motor will usually run like crap.
                Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
                  Even with a properly operating PCV system, it's drawing it's vacuum from the intake manifold. When you're under WOT, you have zero vacuum since everything is at equilibrium. If you have blow-by issues, high cylinder pressures @ WOT make the blow-by the greatest at the time when you have no vacuum. In addition, the fresh (and metered) air inlet that goes from the air intake tube to the valve cover should reduce any vacuum created in the crankcase to a minimum....just enough to create air flow circulation in the system. If you plug the fresh air inlet and pull a vacuum on the crankcase, the motor will usually run like crap.
                  LOL !! A guy did that to his jeep the other day. The IAC and O2 were
                  going nuts trying to keep up with it!! After about 20 minutes the oil would
                  get hot enough to boil off the gasoline fumes and it would kill it! It wouldn't
                  start until it cooled off then it would run fine again!! LOL if I wanted a jeep
                  wrangler I could have had one for cheap!!

As usual, he had replaced almost all of the ignition system and put in
                  several new computer parts...A little over $1000 of just parts...Love the
                  look on their faces when just after their story you tell them what the
                  problem is...
                  Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
                  X