meter fuse keeps on blowing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• meter fuse keeps on blowing?

hey, im working on an stock festiva (not mine, lol...) and the meter fuse keeps on blowing after you start the engine... any ideas?

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
    1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

LOL, look for where someone else was messing with it last!
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

no one in the last year has touched it other than me lol... and i have never done anything to the wiring in it...

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
      1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

you've got a short (but you know that). time to trace on the unpowered side of the fuse block. take out the fuse, put key in "on" position and probe both sides of the fuse terminal. the side WITHOUT power is the one you want.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

METER fuse powers: backup lights, buzzer, ATX shift lock, passive restraint, signals, inst illumination, cooling fan relay. Happy probing!

Comment

Look for that plug right at the alternator to see if it's not staying connected or may have come loose and touches on and off, OR for the wires (red and brown) within it to be coming out of their metal ends.
            A surge of power on that line at ANY point in it from a quick "make-break" situation will blow that fuse. Otherwise, Festyboy is right, look for the short and that may be at the "charge light" bulb in the instrument cluster, or the alternator itself.
            97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
            CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
            Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

Please excuse the "attitude", this is easy and that thread was not
              making an effort!
              Last edited by Movin; 05-06-2012, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Iceracer is right. The METER fuse is also involved in the charge warning indicator circuit. Black/red wire between alt and light, black/yellow between light and fuse. Indicator light has 100 ohm resistor if that means anything ('92 wiring manual).

Comment

That circuit goes all over the place, when it is blowing the fuse those are
                  easy, just follow the short. It is the intermittent ones that can be fun.

Comment

I had this problem once when i installed a new stereo head unit. It turns out that the ground wire i was using was routed through the dimmer switch. had to use a different ground. I dont know if your friends car has a dimmer, but just an idea.

Comment

Working...
                    X