wheel bearing spacer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheel bearing spacer

Just a query guys, whats the use of the washer or spacer which is placed I think in between the outer & inner wheel bearings? Can I add another one to it? Will it affect somewhat the bearins or hubs? Any input guys? Thanks.

I'm assuming you are talking about the front wheel bearings, correct? If so, the spacer is the pre-load spacer. The thickness of the spacer determines how much drag the wheel bearings produce. What you are supposed to do is tighten up the axle nut to the appropriate torque, then measure the amount of torque(drag) that the wheel has. If there is too much drag you put in a thicker spacer. Not enough drag, you get a thinner spacer. The only problem - you can't get these spacer. When I went to the Ford dealer and ordered one, they looked at me funny then told me they can't get them.

When I replaced my front wheel bearings, I had way too much drag, I could hardly turn the wheel by hand once I torqued down the axle nut. Since I couldn't get the correct spacer, I made some shims(the same shape as the spacer) out of thin sheet metal and just kept adding until I had the correct amount of drag.

I was going to have a buddy who works in a machine shop make up some spacer of several different thicknesses, but I didn't have the time to wait since I needed the car.

Comment

This is whats happening in my car, I just cant get the wheel or the hub from going loose. No matter how much we torque the axle nut. At first we have to tighten the nut and the wheel hub will be tight but there is not too much drag on the wheel but when I use the car after a cuple of days the hub will be loose again like the wheel bearings are toasted and when we opened it the bearing looks ok and all we do is tighten it again & again, my question in will a thick sapacer cure it coz if I will be using a tthick spacer will it hold the wheel hgub together without overtightening the axle nut and will it finally hold the hub assmebly firmly?

Originally posted by gdawgs
      I'm assuming you are talking about the front wheel bearings, correct? If so, the spacer is the pre-load spacer. The thickness of the spacer determines how much drag the wheel bearings produce. What you are supposed to do is tighten up the axle nut to the appropriate torque, then measure the amount of torque(drag) that the wheel has. If there is too much drag you put in a thicker spacer. Not enough drag, you get a thinner spacer. The only problem - you can't get these spacer. When I went to the Ford dealer and ordered one, they looked at me funny then told me they can't get them.

When I replaced my front wheel bearings, I had way too much drag, I could hardly turn the wheel by hand once I torqued down the axle nut. Since I couldn't get the correct spacer, I made some shims(the same shape as the spacer) out of thin sheet metal and just kept adding until I had the correct amount of drag.

I was going to have a buddy who works in a machine shop make up some spacer of several different thicknesses, but I didn't have the time to wait since I needed the car.

Comment

No you would need a thinner spacer if that is what the problem is. Is the axle nut loosening up??

If not, I'd change out the bearings. Many times you can't tell that a bearing is bad just by looks or feel, especially precision bearings.
        When you do change them out, you will most likely need to play around with the preload.

Just to verify, you are working on the fronts, right? I'm assuming so, because if you torqued the rears that much, you wouldn't be able to turn the wheel.

Comment

Yup Im working the fron left side. Im not sure if the axle nut is coming loose but Im pretty sure that the hub or the inner & outer bearings are moving apart. Did change new bearings but it still comes loose after a week or two.

Comment

I had a problem with my preload spacers about 2 years ago, in that they were not present when I went to replace the bearings. (The last time the bearings were done was before I started doing all my own maintenance)

Anyways the way I got around it was by pressing the bearings as usual, with no spacer at all, and then loosely tightening the hub nut to about 20 ft-lbs, (snug) then taking it out for a quick spin, making sure to steer hard right and left to seat the bearings. After about a mile or so bring it back in an re-tighten the nut, again just snugging it up, then repeat the driving. After doing this once or twice the bearings should be firmly seated where the nut is snug after a drive, stake the nut and you should be good to go. My bearings have lasted 2 years and about 25,000 miles so far.
            *Note* The nut is a one use only nut that needs to be staked to prevent it from loosening. If you aren't staking the nut, then that is most likely your problem.
            The Cow Says: Moo

Comment

Working...
            X