battery drains overnight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• battery drains overnight

Well bought the car and it runs and drives good drove home 40 miles and parked it and went out hour after i got home went to drive to work and battery was dead i figured i left something on so jumped it off and drove to work didnt start back 7.5 hours later figured batterys prolly dead so bought new battery still doing it so i bought new alt and still doing it thought it was my cd player removed it and still doing it any ideas on what to look for
    89 festiva all of a mighty 1.3 Tha Black Bullet and good ole casper got casper when I was 15 and loved em ever since

At night when you park it, unhook the ground cable and then hook it back up in morning and see if it starts. Im sure one of the guys will tell you how to see if there is drain on the battery after you turn it off and how to do it. If you can't find whats draining battery right away, at least undoing cable will help you until you find where drain is coming from. My way of checking would be to get amp meter and see what reading is after you shut it off and then maybe pulling fuses from inside fuse box to see if amps go up when you start pulling them.
    Last edited by milehighbear; 05-07-2012, 08:37 PM.
    Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
    93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
    01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Parasitic load test.

What is parasitic draw? All vehicles draw some power from the batteries when the car is shut off. Certain accessories such as clocks, radios remote door openers and alarms always need power. The normal power used is called parasitic draw.
      1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

I am betting you have a short to ground somewhere on your car. Bare hot wire touching metal. You will have to pretend you are Sherlock Holmes. Disconnect negative terminal and put a test light in between. If it is very bright, then you have a problem. Something is pulling electrons, more than just the computer or radio. you will have to trace the source of the short to ground. Read this thread. Good luck.
        Last edited by bravekozak; 05-08-2012, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Everything works and no blown fuses is a different scenario. About 2 amps going
          somewhere will drain a 300 to 500 cca battery overnight. Using your DVOM...
          measure the drain. If it might be a short make sure you have a 10 amp fuse in series with your meter.
          The amps should give you a good idea where to look. But
          even with no ideas you can see the meter. Unplug the Alternator wires one at
          a time while watching the meter or the light. Pull fuses one at a time. This process
          is easy and will jump you into the circuit that is draining the battery.

There are other tricks, on a cold morning feel the relays, the alternator ect. they
          all should be cold. Something barely warm means it has power going through it.

Take a look at the car after dark, there should be no rear cargo lights on or gauges
          glowing that you might easily not see when it is daylight.

Those naughty electrons will play if you give them a chance!!
          Last edited by Movin; 05-08-2012, 10:05 AM.
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Remove cigarette lighter fuse

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
            ;
            www.facebook.com/rhodestiva ;
            rhodestiva@gmail.com ;
            http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44851
            http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=419
            '92 Festiva L M/T
            '93 Festiva GL A/T

Comment

the battery itself can also have an internal draw (due to sulfation of the plates), get the battery tested.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

If your battery is 'circling the drain' energy-wise a simple thing like electrical draw to run the radio clock can be enough to kill your ability to start the car after parking overnight.
                Trouble with EFI cars is that they start almost immediately and the one time that you have to turn them for more than 5 seconds is when you discover that (for instance) the 20 year old OEM battery only has 3 seconds worth of 13V left in it.

Comment

Working...
                X