1990 festiva help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 festiva help!

So I replaced the VAF fuel pump and spark plugs. Cap and rotor look brand new. Drove the car for about an hour straight and it was fine. Then suddenly the car started sputtering and lose power. It was idling rough. I put it in neutral and floored it and it bogged the engine more. Almost sounding like it had a huge cam. I got some clean pro or whatever to clean the injectors tomorrow but I still don't know what it could be. Someone said the ignition module but I was also told if it was tht the car wouldn't start. After it bogged I turned it off sat for a min then turned the key on nd held it for a sec while flooring it and it reved up enough for me to drop the clutch and get going then it drove back to the school which was about 2-3 miles away. Idk please help

check your VAF connection (look for corrosion)

why did you replace the VAF in the first place?
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
      check your VAF connection (look for corrosion)

why did you replace the VAF in the first place?
      He was unaware that the screws that hold the connector to the VAF should not be removed to disconnect the VAF wiring harness connector.
      He did learn what a wire lock is!
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

oh dear!... o_0
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I'm going to say this because I had almost an identical problem... CHECK THE FRIGGIN' COIL.

Just grab one from any older car and wire it directly to the battery, run a plug to the distributor and start the car. Don't leave the coil wired to the battery for any length of time if you're not running the engine, it can overheat and burn the coils, making it worthless.

The test takes about 10 minutes to set up, and can save you ONE HELL of a headache.

Comment

I can pull the coil off an 89 festiva I also have. Ya I learned about tht wire clip haha. I checked the connector plug and it looks good. I'll try just swapping the coils out. I've also been told to check the ignition module. I was also wondering could it be the "computer" of the whole car going bad?

Comment

I'd say no, on reflex alone, since I've only ever had 2 of them (in over 100 cars) go bad... one just recently, on a '92 Camaro due to dry solder sockets, and the other in another GM product due to corrosion from water entry.

Comment

I wonder if your fuel pressure is up to snuff.
                Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Ok so check coil then ignition module. And it's a brand new fuel pump so I'm figuring the pressure is good. The fuel filter is newer too

Comment

What about the pressure regulator?? Take the top vacuum line off and make sure its clean and dry, no gas or gunk there. Then use a pair of vice grips (with a rag in the jaws) to clamp the return line and see if that changes anything.
                    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

But if it was the pressure regulator why would it bog the engine more when I floored the pedal? just my thought wouldn't it do the opposite and build more pressure af slowly rev or something or am I wrong?jw

Comment

Sorry on iPod send msg twice
                        Last edited by Festivachuck90; 05-08-2012, 10:41 PM. Reason: Sent msg twice

Comment

If your not getting enough fuel to idle right, you wouldn't be getting enough fuel to rev. More air needs more fuel to keep the a/f ratio right.
                          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                          1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                          1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                          1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                          1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                          1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                          1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Oh ok tht makes sense. Didnt have time to wrk on it today had to take a ford 9in apart. So if it's the regulator would it mess up off and on while driving tho?

Comment

Working...
                            X