help replacing exhaust valves in b6t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help replacing exhaust valves in b6t

Title explains it all I need to replace at least two broken exhaust valve how is it done so I don't screw my self
    Frankie

fully custom 88 festy (project doomsday) Febuary in 2012 calander
    Blockspire: ken block replica aspire
    AdvancedDynamix: "If you put the same kind of effort into your engine that you put into the rest of the car, well... it'll be epic". thanks man

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...00000110128487

If its like the BP with lifter bores cast into Tue head, get the 60 or 70$ compressor that wraps around the head at autozone or advance, and a conduit coupling, wrap the coupling with black tape so it doesn't scratch the lifter bores.
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Well I'm nervous about takin the cam off cause I don't wanna screw somethin up
      Frankie

AdvancedDynamix: "If you put the same kind of effort into your engine that you put into the rest of the car, well... it'll be epic". thanks man

Comment

Just start at the outside and work each bolt a little by little (1/8th turn at a time) in a circular motion toward the middle bolts, reverse of the tightening sequence until the caps are loose. You just want to avoid one side lifting up too unevenly, the cams are made of metal, they're going to be hard to break or bend..
        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
          Just start at the outside and work each bolt a little by little (1/8th turn at a time) in a circular motion toward the middle bolts, reverse of the tightening sequence until the caps are loose. You just want to avoid one side lifting up too unevenly, the cams are made of metal, they're going to be hard to break or bend..
          LOL those plastic bearing caps and carbon fiber bolts sure save weight!!
          Non metallic lifters or cam followers would run the red line to at least
          12 grand before valve float..:p

Thanks zoom, I needed that ! Don't no body take this serious now!
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I should also throw in that I used an old plastic silverware drawer(cleaned) and poured in enough oil to cover the height of the lifters, it keeps them nice and fresh and in order for reinstallation. Originally I just sat them in the thing with no oil, went back 3 or 4 days later and a couple had started getting surface rust on them, so I poured oil on em. I don't know how they sat in the VC dry for however long the engine was on the shelf in the jy and didn't rust, but they did in 3 days in my garage. I had to hit a couple with 1500 grit sandpaper to get the stuff off before I put them back in.

I don't know what the deal is with me and rust, but I also had surface rust starting to show on my block after a week of being home from the machine shop. I don't know if its too humid or what in my garage?

I also ended up cleaning my cams with dawn power disolver and immediately coating them with grease and sticking them in a Walmart bag so they wouldn't rust.

@movin, sounds like you need stiffer valve springs, probably run you up to 20 before it explodes..
            Last edited by zoom zoom; 05-13-2012, 02:33 PM.
            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

I'll have to go buy more power dis solver !
              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Thanks everyone
                Frankie

Comment

Working...
                X