Electrical Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Movin View Post
    Jeez..mothers day dinner!!! George is absolutely right about those things. You did
    ask about disabling and really all you would have to do is insure the bulbs do not
    light, the bulbs are easy to remove.
    If you see a 2 to 3 amp draw something is left on. If you see something
    less than 500 milliamps ...like 20 to 50 milliamps you likely have a battery
    that has already performed it best and is heading permanently south.

There may be some guys on here that would appreciate your photography skills
    and the fact that you have a fairly complete and original vacuum system.

With what you have we can test the battery. After the battery is fully charged hook
    you meter, now turned to DC volts across the battery to read 12.8 volts or what ever.
    Place the meter where you can read it while cranking.

Ground the tower of your coil so that the sparks have some where to go and will
    not smoke the transistors in your ignition module.

Crank the engine for 15 seconds while watching the meter. If at any time the voltage
    drops below 9.5 volts your battery is done and not up to specs. If the voltage drops
    really quick feel the cables for heat, you may need to test the starter. If they are
    cool a new battery would perform much better. If they are warm, your battery is
    suppyling power and your starter may be done. You can take either one or both
    to town and get a test done for free at a parts store like AZ to verify your findings.
    OK I will see what I can do … I'm ganna have to wait till Sunday because of distance.
    Do you think the starter can sometimes work and sometimes not?

And what do you mean about my photography skills? - I do wish to be a pro photographer.
    "Today, no American family can be secure against the danger that one of its children may decide to become an artist"

-Garrison Keillor

Comment

You are taking pictures properly focused and not moving while tripping the
      shutter resulting in good pics. You also pay attention to lighting, also helps
      a lot. Vacuum hoses are hard to shoot and show their routing from one
      end to the other. It is really a hard shot. You have the skill to do the shot.
      There has been quite a bit of research trying to find where these hoses go.
      Maybe these guys found what they need by now, if not maybe they will
      step in.

How long till you can drive this car?
      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Thanks
        I will start driving in October - if I get a job for insurance and gas money.
        "Today, no American family can be secure against the danger that one of its children may decide to become an artist"

-Garrison Keillor

Comment

jobs are hard to find, ones that pay anyway! An intermittent starter is the most
          common failure.

Comment

jobs are hard to find, ones that pay anyway! An intermittent starter is the most
            common failure.
            I know that it will be tough as a teen in high school - the hardest toughest one in the entire state... I really don't care what it is, just not food because if I go into food I will probably never want to eat ever again in my life!

Also my parent wont pay for anything except for the initial mods and fixing that goes into my Festiva

-Garrison Keillor

Comment

The fuse panel is by the driver's left knee and they are labeled.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

The room fuse controls the interior dome light, radio, rear cargo light, some parts of the instrument cluster and the shift interlock solenoid if you have an automatic.
                -Zack
                Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

The fuse panel is by the driver's left knee and they are labeled
                  Ok I will take a look at that this weekend.

The room fuse controls the interior dome light, radio, rear cargo light, some parts of the instrument cluster and the shift interlock solenoid if you have an automatic.
                  I have a manual - crap... so Im ganna have to look into figuring out if I want to have lights. I think the lights have issues.

-Garrison Keillor

Comment

Disconnect the battery before putting it on an overnight trickle charge to ensure that more juice is being pumped in than is leaking out.
                    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                      Disconnect the battery before putting it on an overnight trickle charge to ensure that more juice is being pumped in than is leaking out.
                      I curently have one on it for the week. - it isn't connected to the car.

-Garrison Keillor

Comment

Do y'all think that maybe it would be best for me have it taken to a guy my step.dad knows and have him fix it due to my lack of knowledge and large amount of cost this would be if I would replace random parts that would or would not work?
                        Thanks.

-Garrison Keillor

Comment

Not if he charges by the hour to trace electrical gremlins.

Comment

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
                            Not if he charges by the hour to trace electrical gremlins.
                            I'm pretty sure it's more I'll charge this much plus how ever much is needed for parts.

-Garrison Keillor

Comment

The more you know about the problem and having it together will
                              be better, you might fix it yourself, or it will cost less to fix because
                              you can provide more information.

Comment

The more you know about the problem and having it together will
                                be better, you might fix it yourself, or it will cost less to fix because
                                you can provide more information.
                                Ok First of all I know my battery is good. That is just known.
                                There is something that is causing a major drain to my battery. over a short amount of time. - The battery says charged, so I put the charger on boost and jump in the car and attempt to start, not receiving enough power it wont even turn over. I know the fuse box has problems. I made a homemade wire for it and it sort of worked but Im sure there is a problem inside. Also the coil might have a problem. I was messing with the wires on it (I think the negative wire on the coil) and tried starting the car and it worked immediately. A few weeks later I tried it again and I had the issue that it wouldn't start due to lack of electricity.

One thing to note is that it needs a new or rebuilt alternator. My step dad says he prefers me to do that once I'm 16 so it wont go bad again from just sitting (is that even possible - during that short amount of time? - I drive it maybe 30 minutes for a day then leave it sitting for a week and so on for about half a more year before I drive on road? -- Do yall think it could go bad?)

I know that there might be issues inside the car, because the dome lights and all that fancy stuff doesnt work and I cant be sure if they are on or not.

I replaced the ground cable and int the process of replacing the positive cable - the one to the battery.

That is about everything I know about my electrical problem.

-Garrison Keillor

Comment

Working...
                                X