rack and pinion help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rack and pinion help

Hey guys, I've got a 90 festiva with manual steering, and the rack is going out on it I believe. Both of the boots are gone. Im sure some of you other guys have run into the same situation. Does anyone know of a good source for a reman, or rebuilt rack? Do any other racks fit in the festiva? Thanks,
    Joe
    90 Festiva with Brand new B3, 5spd
    92 B6 Festiva, 5spd
    94 Mustang DSS 331, Vortec S-Trim, 5 spd
    94 Mustang GT, stock, automatic

FMS rebuilds Festiva racks.. give them a call

Comment

Hey Dj

I saw that they offered them for $175 with a $75 core. I was just looking around to see if there were other options. $175 is a bit steep for me right now, because I just purchased all the parts for the aspire brake upgrade. I also need to pick up rims and tires as well, since my 12's wont fit anymore:-) Anyway I appreciate the reply, and hopefully someone else has a more "economical" option.

Joe
      90 Festiva with Brand new B3, 5spd
      92 B6 Festiva, 5spd
      94 Mustang DSS 331, Vortec S-Trim, 5 spd
      94 Mustang GT, stock, automatic

Comment

Buy a whole car for $100-200, pull the steering stuff you need, and disassemble the rest for later supply of totally free parts. I found my last 3 Festivas on seattle.craigslist.com.
        88L black, dailydriver
        88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
        4 88/89 disassembled
        91L green
        91GL aqua pwrsteer
        92GL red a/c reardmg
        3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
        1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

rack and pinion help

AlaskaFestivaGuy,
          I'm doing what you had suggested to wrestler but have a frozen pinch bolt (lower one; upper one came right out) without the help of a torch to do the Red Hot Bolt removal treatment. Have soaked it down with about 1/2 a can of PB blaster with 1/2 hr. waits inbetween. Medium quality socket and closed wrench-12mm each- without any socket stripping but the bolt head is beginning to strip. Not alot of room to bang on this with a hammer. What other method(s) would you try in this removal/loosening? Have this salvage steering assembly in an '88 parts Festiva and wanting to get this in my '90 Festiva. Any help is welcomed.

Comment

How about using your Dremel tool or equivalent with a little (they're about 1" diameter) cutoff wheel on the little spindle that comes with them (they come in packages of 10 or 20) and simply saw the bolt head off. I've gotten many a rusted bolt out that way. You'll probably use a dozen wheels on one bolt head, but it's only a few bucks. It might be easier if your Dremel is a variable-speed model. Wear eye protection!
            88L black, dailydriver
            4 88/89 disassembled
            91L green
            91GL aqua pwrsteer
            92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Bionic wrench

You might also look into something I read about called the Bionic Wrench, made by LoggerHead Tools LLC. A writeup I clipped (from, of all places, the Wall Street Journal on 3/21/06) seems to say that it's intended for worn nuts/bolts and retails for $32.95, but not many places carry it. I'd try the cutoff wheel first. If you can decapitate the bolt, maybe you could use something to hammer the bolt out nut-first, and even get some penetratinc oil (I like LPS-1) deeper into the thing. Also, stick a pry bar in between the pinch parts to spread them apart after the head and/or nut are gone.
              88L black, dailydriver
              4 88/89 disassembled
              91L green
              91GL aqua pwrsteer
              92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

One last idea -- use 6-point tools if you're not already. 12-point will tend to round 6-sides fasteners off sooner than 6-point.
                88L black, dailydriver
                4 88/89 disassembled
                91L green
                91GL aqua pwrsteer
                92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

rack and pinion help

AlaskaFestivaGuy.
                  Excellent Ideas and the Dremel one is tried and true from your own experience, Excellent!; Thank You!
                  Will try both if the variable spd. Dremel gear doesn't do it.
                  Let y'all know how this goes.

Comment

Working...
                  X