Fuel Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Pump

I recently bought a 88 Festiva with 174000 on it. Everything works. Love the car. Doesn't idle down well and will often stall when stopping. I read something about a diaphram that may go bad in the fuel pump and a weep hole in the fuel pump???
    any thoughts??
    (also wont stay in 4th gear....acts like worn out gear... :cry:
    thanks
    sam

Re: Fuel Pump

Originally posted by sammcgee
    diaphram .... weep hole
    If you have a bad diaphram on a mechanical fuel pump you can easily tell because it will bleed fuel into your oil..

Comment

thanks gomer........I'll check oil. It seems though that I could see a fine mist of gas coming out from the body of the pump. That most likely is the problem...........thanks again :wink:

Comment

also check for a vacuum leak

Comment

I've done a visual on hoses........everything seems to be in good shape. Seems like I've read something about a plate in the carb that can sometimes get dirty. When I brought the car home I washed the engine and sprayed cleaner in the carb......maybe needs to be rebuilt??

Comment

Fuel Pump

Have this same problem with our '88 Festiva L; 4 spd manual: and took it off the road until I can figure it out. Do you have a strong fuel odor inside near the driver's seat? Swapped the "new" pump that came with the car via the last owner and both have this problem. Have a higher prioity repair in the '90 Festiva first then this one's fuel misting problem.
            Have you tried inspecting the charcoal canister and the vacuume hoses connected to it? Haynes' manual said this will appear with a strong fuel odor in the inside of the car.

Comment

I'll try that also.........thanks............I'm continuing to drive mine even with the stall problem........doesn't matter much up here in the sticks.

Comment

Working...
              X