New Festiva Owner With NO Spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Festiva Owner With NO Spark

I have a new 91 Festiva with no spark. The old owner told me it was running one day and then he park it and the next day it would'nt start. The motor turns over and it does'nt fire. I pulled the coil wire going to the distributer and there is no spark. I have power going to the coil with the ignition in the run position (using a test light).
    I have a 2nd festiva parts car, with a blown headgasket and locked up engine.
    Here is a list of parts I have swapped-
    Distributer wires rotor cap
    Ignition modual
    coil
    Don't know what to check next, Please help!
    I need this thing Running, I envy you guys gettn great gas milage. lol:cry_smile:

Check the fusible links by the battery
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

Swap the whole distributor from the parts car if compatible. It's about the only thing left.

Comment

Check timing belt.Had same problem,parked car one night and next morning wouldn't start.Changed a lot of electrical before realizing the distributor wasn't even turning because of broken timing belt.

Comment

ignition module? battery? ground wire? got me?

Comment

You got some great advise, nothing to add here but one was from a new member..
            Welcome, and thanks for starting out helping others! If you are thinking about what
            to do with a festy, look around in here there are tons of projects and ideas!
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

You might be able to see if cam is turning through oil cap hole. If not you must remove belt cover which involves removing water pump pulley.

Comment

Fusible links are good, Swapped the Distributor already,Pulled the cap and checked to see if rotor button IS turning. So the timming belt is good? Right.
                Please keep the ideas coming. Could it be the Ignition switch (I checked the coil is getting power)

Comment

Is the main ground connected from the head to the body? If the distributor is spinning the timing belt is working.

I had a neon one time lost spark all of a sudden and couldn't get it to fire until I accidentally hit the loose wire and saw a spark, car fired right up.
                  1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Disconnect the timing connector wire and try it, if you have a tach, unplug it,

Edit, just saw you have a 91, but follow the train of thought anyway.
                    Last edited by Movin; 05-16-2012, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                      Disconnect the timing connector wire and try it, if you have a tach, unplug it,

Edit, just saw you have a 91, but follow the train of thought anyway.
                      Where is the "Timing Connector Wire", are they the wires going to the top of the distributor?

Comment

The 88 and 89 have that wire, but something may be grounding the ignition
                        coil negative circuit..your tach or your computer. If you haven't found it in
                        an hour or so I will check your 91 in the computer.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbyh68 View Post
                          Where is the "Timing Connector Wire", are they the wires going to the top of the distributor?
                          It is a single connector near the brake booster.

Comment

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
                            It is a single connector near the brake booster.
                            George, thanks, perhaps grounding the test lead will disengage the computer
                            from the coil tach side circuit and allow the ignition to spark if the computer
                            is faulty?
                            Do you show a tach connector for the dash that could be unhooked near
                            the coil?

Comment

Do you get a spark from the wire going into the distributor? I thought the distributor is what creates the spark. Someone please enlighten me. I'd've pulled the wire off the #1 spark plug and used that to check for spark. Silly me?
                              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                              X