Plez Help!!! Dead Ferd in driveway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plez Help!!! Dead Ferd in driveway

I realize that this may not be a new topic, however, I haven't the time to sort thru all of the posts. (at work) And I'm hoping that someone out here has knowledge of this a fix for my cars problem: I have no clue.
    I have a '93 Festiva "L" EFI 5 speed, and it won't run on all 4 cylinders. Tried everything that I can think of, even changed out the PCM, no luck. It seems that all four injectors want to fire at the same time in stead of in sink with the timing. I'm not too sharp on EFI, carbs yes, EFI I' m rather clueless. The problem originally started out seeming like I had a problem with the throttle position sensor(?) but the next day when I started it up to take it to the shop it would only run on two cylinders. I've got spark, compression and fuel in all four cylinders, yet two of the cylinders aren't firing-not getting fuel at the correct time(?) I need help. This was a fun little car to drive but now it's looking like "boat anchor time" I'd rather not have to resort to that. if it can be repaired.
    Dave

how did you diagnose that problem???????

do you have a Chilton's???

have you checked the engine trouble codes??

have you checked the ignition timing??
    it could have jumped timing

have you ever done a timing belt? how many miles are on it?

Comment

Yeah..................

I personally didn't do the work on the vehicle, but yes to all of the above.
      Timing is good, two of the cylinders aren't firing, but they have good hot spark, and fuel delivery, but its not timed with the engine. All four injectors are firing at the same time. Wiring has been checked, ECM has been changed, ( no change in behavior) all new ignition components had been installed. Compression checked. Like I said its a '93 with 200K, it ran good when I picked it up a month ago, developed a leak in the gas tank so we dropped the tank and repaired it and a bad fuel line. drove it for two days , then it went flat. Started acting like it had a bad accelerator pump, but its not carburated, then the next afternoon it dropped two cylinders; that's as far as I've gotten. I was told that the belt had been changed a couple years ago(?) by the previous owner. I'm open for suggestions........... :cry:
      Dave

Comment

as far as the injectors are concerned,

the firing sequence does not matter, as long as the fuel is being delivered

are there any engine codes in the computer?????

are the spark plugs fouled out?

Comment

Thanx

I am not ignoring anyone here, just been very busy. Like I'd mentioned, I did not do any of the work myself, nor have I picked the car up( my mechanic gave up on it); so I don't have all of the information from him yet either.
          I'm thinking of starting back at the fuel pump, because I had to remove it when I dropped the gas tank to repair a leak. Maybe wire has come loose and it's not operating all the time?!? Got to start somewhere, so I'll start at the back and work my way up to the engine. Don't know a whole lot about EFI but I guess I'm gonna learn!
          I will update at some later point if you'd like. In case anyone is interested I can be contacted at DGESmoknZ28@aol.com as well......

Thanx again.
          Dave

Comment

Have you checked that the plugs wires are on correctly? The correct firing order is 1342 with the number one cylinder is the one furthest from the distributor (don't ask how I learned that ops

Good luck
            Ian
            Calgary AB, Canada
            93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
            59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Well what do you know?!?!?!?

Hey Kids! Guess I'm smarter than the average beanpole after all. Got the car towed home last night and pulled the fuel pump...if not being the whole problem, it's a major contributor. The screen was plugged solid. It appears that the gas tank sealer never fully cured or something else went wrong , but the bottom of the tank is full of "dirt" (disolved sealer) . Guess I'll be dropping the tank a second time. I'm gonna replace the filter and hope that the injectors did not get clogged as well. Thanx for the help!
              Dave

Comment

Working...
              X