Oil Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Change

So, I gave my festiva an oil change yesterday, because It seemed as though it was LONG overdue. I gave it a proper change,but I'm not sure If I should put more oil in It or not because there is nothing that says safe or whatever. The dipstick is carved a little at the end, but I don't know if I'm supposed to stop In the middle, or go until the end of the etching. Can somebody post an up close picture of their oil level for me so I can relate?

Thanks.

oil change

Engine and oil filter=3.6 quarts, a little oil more or less will be fine. As for the dip stick, fill the engine, run it for a little bit, let the oil drain down, then check the level on your stick, that will be your referance point, or at the top of the flat portion of the dip stick it should have a F with a line that would indicate the engine is full. good luck
    An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Also, I read the original manual mention that if you're at or below the bottom "hole"(I think its a hole I can't remember) means to add 1qt of oil. So as long as your oil level is above that, you're good. I'm guessing the bottom hole means you have around 2-2.5qt in your engine, that would imply thats its safe to fill up another qt without overfilling your engine.

They wrote the instructions to be fool proof in a sense. Its just a lot easier to know how much you have in your engine at time of change, and keep it within whatever it reads when you first do that.
      Hodginsa - Photography - Cars, people, everything.

Festy is For Sale...

Comment

There are two lines etched on the dip stick. Bottom line means add oil. Top line means stop adding oil. I buy the large containers and fill with a one litre measuring cup to somewhere close to, but not over, the top line.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I buy 5 qt jugs from Walmart and pour all but a quart and a third or so with a funnel. I keep the rest in the car in case it's low somewhere. The empty jugs can be used to take dirty oil to recycle.

Comment

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
            I buy 5 qt jugs from Walmart and pour all but a quart and a third or so with a funnel. I keep the rest in the car in case it's low somewhere. The empty jugs can be used to take dirty oil to recycle.
            That's about how much I used.

I took a 5qt. jug and used all but about a quart - a quart and a half.

Comment

Working...
            X