wining near the timing belt with video of the noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

uh oh....
    i replaced that timing belt tensioner... and the problem came back. the noise is low on the engine and exists when the timing belt tensioner is on...

I have no clue what to do now...

clues on the problem
    this is what it is not (timing belt tensioner, alternator, alternator belt, upper cover, lower cover...)

what should I do next?
    Last edited by josephfpu; 05-21-2012, 06:20 PM.
    Dirty Bird Video www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3lZFu6xRNk
    extreme unicycling with my Festiva http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xSEpsjCKQ0

Comment

wait, verify that your belt guides are in the correct orentiation and correct order too!!
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
        wait, verify that your belt guides are in the correct orentiation and correct order too!!
        explain all that in more detail? I dont know what the belt guides are.

update:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

here is a youtube video of where the tensioner is (loose as it can get). also, you will see how tight the timing belt is.

ideas: could it be that the timing belt is too tight? or maybe the bearing at the bottom of the engine is squealing when under the load of the timing belt?

Comment

Comment

The thin washer closest to the belt must be dished away from the belt.

Comment

That noise ONLY happens when you have the wrong belt or you have the
              belt too tight.
              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

i'm betting wrong belt, that belt is too tight for not having the tentioner on it.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

ok thread closed for real this time!
                  I had the tensioner on backwards which caused it to be too tight which made it whine!
                  doneskies done done

remember to put you tensioner on straight and not backwards. my tensioner was on the wrong way (inside the timing belt instead of outside the timing belt)

Comment

^ wow....

Comment

Hopefully you didn't run it long that way because it would wear down the teeth on the belt.

Comment

wow! i just rushed to read this whole thread because i caught that the tensioner was on the wrong side of the belt in video number 2 and i was going to tell you about it. i was all proud the me being a novice spotting it and without me even taking my own apart yet. lol. i think my years running analog reel to reel tape machines helped me spot. as well as all the research i am doing here on the forums. you guys have already got my brains and eyes working and i haven't even popped my timing belt cover off yet. lol

Comment

Working...
                        X