No announcement yet.

My festy is trying to lose a limb !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did you know to cut it to #13 size? Is there a mark in the hub? Preload not that important?

Comment

Some of you guys are pretty inventive!
      I've grown to loathe unnecessarily playing with front hubs and am very thankful to have switched to Aspire-derived 'floating and vented' rotors so as to be able to leave hubs alone whenever playing with brakes. I could never get any decent life out of Festy rotors before they warped, rusted or scored badly.

Comment

Where in Missouri are you?
        -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
        -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
        -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

I thought that you had a quality way to make spacers but the way you describe sounds sketchy. The cut must be perfectly perpendicular and uniform or the bearing(s) will be cocked or unevenly loaded. I am also sceptical of this "ruler".

Comment

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
            I thought that you had a quality way to make spacers but the way you describe sounds sketchy. The cut must be perfectly perpendicular and uniform or the bearing(s) will be cocked or unevenly loaded. I am also sceptical of this "ruler".
            If my brother hadn't been so smooth with a cutting wheel and a grinder, it never would've worked. It measured exactly .2666 all the way around when he was done with it. Digital rulers are incredibly handy !

An 02 rio has the same wheel bearing design that our festys have.

Comment

I still don't know how you chose .2666 as the thickness without the old spacer. Is the # stamped on the hub? Also is the digital ruler a micrometer?

Comment

I still don't know how you chose .2666 as the thickness without the old spacer. Is the # stamped on the hub? Also is the digital ruler a micrometer?
                I had read a thread on here about someone who had success with a 12 and a 13 . Then i read another thread that stated that 11 through 15 would work, so i chose 13 as my median size.

Micrometer, thats it ! I'm a bit of a redneck :toothy9:

Comment

Originally posted by Fester's Quest View Post
                  I had read a thread on here about someone who had success with a 12 and a 13 . Then i read another thread that stated that 11 through 15 would work, so i chose 13 as my median size.

Micrometer, thats it ! I'm a bit of a redneck :toothy9:
                  So you guessed? Well maybe you got lucky!

Comment

So you guessed? Well maybe you got lucky!
                    It seems great so far, but i guess i'll know when 8k miles rolls around, lol. You wouldn't happen to know how good these things are in the mud would you ? i'm moving very far out in the country and i've heard from youtube videos that these things do wonderful in the mud. Anybody with some first hand experience ?
                    Last edited by Fester's Quest; 05-29-2012, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X