Painless CV joint removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painless CV joint removal

I'm getting ready to swap transmissions between my parts car and my crippled Banana Festiva.

What suggestions do you guys have for removing the CV joints? When I last removed them I had to take off the control arm and sway bar in order to get enough room to pull the splined ends from the hubs.

I know there's got to be an easier way of doing this that doesn't involve tearing the suspension apart. Do you guys have any time-saving suggestions?

Regards,

Tim
    White '89L auto - Sold!
    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

When I swapped my engine I just unbolted the hub from the strut and manhandled it until the end came out. It takes some prying, but they will come out.

If you're swapping the transmissions I would just leave the axles attached until you lift the tranny. As it comes up they will pop right out. Same thing when you put it back in.
    OX SMASH!!

Comment

I haven't done this since last night but let me see if I can remember how I did it. I just removed the bug nut on the end of the half shaft and then the ball joint pinch bolt. Then I take a long bar to pry the control arm down and they just pop out. Take the bar and go from the front corner of the car over the control arm and put the end under the frame near the control arm attach point. Then pry down. Then you'll be able to pop the shaft out.

This is also a good chance to check your ball joints for wear.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
      BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
      BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
      New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

HEY POST WUSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

do you ever check the "new posts since your last visit" button???????

read this turkey!!!!:::::

Comment

and if you remove the 17mm nuts and bolts that hold the strut to the spindle

and remove the tie rod end nut and separate them

and loosen the brake hose clip to strut assembly

and take the 27mm nut off the end of the CV shaft

and then snake out the end without a problem.

and a quick note***** if you strike the spindle where the tie rod goes in,
          after removing the tie rod nut,
          you can separate them without touching the tie rod end boot
          (use a large sledge hammer)
          and strike the far outside , farthest away from the rotor, of the spindle

Comment

Working...
          X