Weird humming noise....fuel pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird humming noise....fuel pump?

My roommate told me he heard a weird humming noise in the car last night. I get in the car this morning to go to a tire shop. I turn on the ignition and hear the noise. It sounds kinda like a blown speaker, but constant and somewhat muffled. Does that sound like the fuel pump going bad? The car sat for 2 years

the fuel pump won't run unless the engine is cranking or running.

can you narrow down the area of the car where the noise is eminating from?
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I have a brand-new (Delphi-manufacture) aftermarket fuel pump (for an EFI) that hums like a backseat hive of bees (or perhaps the hiss of a blown speaker, as you describe). Contrary to popular opinion on Festy fuel pumps it audibly primes immediately when you turn the key to on. Who would have known otherwise
      But this item is a noisy piece of junk as far as I'm concerned but I was assured by the supplier that this is an OEM direct replacement. It will get this sorted out and I will ultimately replace it with an inaudible or much stealthier pump.
      However, just so you know, there may be one of these disconcerting noisy gizmos in your car. But it does pump gas and the car does run, and for sure you'll know that if it goes quiet so will the entire car!

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
        I have a brand-new (Delphi-manufacture) aftermarket fuel pump (for an EFI) that hums like a backseat hive of bees (or perhaps the hiss of a blown speaker, as you describe). Contrary to popular opinion on Festy fuel pumps it audibly primes immediately when you turn the key to on. Who would have known otherwise
        But this item is a noisy piece of junk as far as I'm concerned but I was assured by the supplier that this is an OEM direct replacement. It will get this sorted out and I will ultimately replace it with an inaudible or much stealthier pump.
        However, just so you know, there may be one of these disconcerting noisy gizmos in your car. But it does pump gas and the car does run, and for sure you'll know that if it goes quiet so will the entire car!
        There is no circuitry to prime the pump with key on.

Comment

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
          There is no circuitry to prime the pump with key on.
          The circuitry is there, all you have to do is pry the cover off the VAF and
          make a little "adjustment"

What is being said is if you hear or feel your fuel pump run when the
          key is turned on either the relay is stuck or the VAF is not working
          correctly!
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
            The circuitry is there, all you have to do is pry the cover off the VAF and
            make a little "adjustment"

What is being said is if you hear or feel your fuel pump run when the
            key is turned on either the relay is stuck or the VAF is not working
            correctly!
            whats a VAF?

Comment

The clunky airbox assembly. It contains the filter, air temp sensor and a vane that energizes the fuel pump and measures air flow.

Comment

its the fan
                He said a bad word :nono:

1990 Festiva
                1987 F-250 diesel-powered
                1984 Ironhead Chopper
                1999 Ducati Monster

Comment

^ which fan there guy!? i for one can easily determine when the blower motor is running, as well as the radiator fan and their location based on their respective noises.... i imagine the OP can do the same.
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                  X