Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clicking when fan turns on.

Hey guys,

I've noticed that there is a clicking noise when my fan turns on, sounds like its the fan relay not being grounded properly so it keeps turning on and off but fast enough the fan still cools the car.

Has this happened to anyone else? Where is the fan relay located? and is there a specific ground known for weakening?

Thanks!
    Hodginsa - Photography - Cars, people, everything.

Festy is For Sale...

The fan relay clicks (off) when the fan turns on, but I doubt you can hear it. The relay is behind the driver's headlight. You must remove the battery. I believe it is the rear one. Sounds like it is working okay to me if it turns on and off.

Comment

Its turning off and on constantly when the fan is running, like 2-3 times a second, I know its not right. Is it the metal one? or is that the headlight relay. the momentum of the fan still cools the car, just the noise sounds like I'm going to burn something out.

It should click the fan on, then click the fan off when the car is hot or the car is cold, right now its running like a PWM controller.

Festy is For Sale...

Comment

The metal one is the main relay. The fan relay is behind it but you must remove the battery to access it. The ground is there too.

Comment

Oh okay, thank! Ill check that out tonight.

Festy is For Sale...

Comment

Next time describe the real problem, which is the fan cutting on and off.

Comment

I did describe the problem twice, no need to get snarky about it. Its making a sound in which a relay and or ground is constantly being connected and disconnected. I came to my own conclusion from my own knowledge of what that sounds like. If you look at my first post and my second post you will see I described the same situation both times, not much more information was added. The real problem was described twice.

I was merely asking if this was a common/known problem, and where exactly the fan relay was. So thank you for answering one of my questions. I do not see a need for your last post though.

Festy is For Sale...

Comment

Sorry, bad day at work ugh

Festy is For Sale...

Comment

You're right! Sorry.

Comment

That ground also grounds the left headlight, turn signal and side marker. It also hooks to another ground. It is unlikely that the ground is at fault. Also the circuitry is such that if the fan relay fails, it will close and run the fan. Same with the fan switch which interrups the relay circuit turning on the fan. The fan is grounded through the relay when it is not energized (engine hot). Hard to follow.

Comment

Working...
                    X