brake problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake problem

So as some of you flights know, my festiva has a brake issue.

At first, we had no brakes. Then ee replaced a wheel cylinder and now we get roughly 2-4 normal brake pressure out of 5 , the others the brakes dont work when we put down the pedal. We have bled the brakes several times and the pads are good. The brake light on the dash is also on. Any Ideas? Master cylinder maybe?

very good possibility. I bought one of those ,(supposed) self bleeder kits , but I have someone pump the brakes while I watch the fluid flow into the bottle. Takes all the guessing out of when the air is out. And you do not lose any brake fluid.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

If I remeber correctly, the brake light in the dash is only activated by the emergency brake and the magnetic switch in the master cylinder resivoir.
      (paperboy 23) 88 Festy Blue, aspire Engine/trans/efi swap,

Comment

If you pump the pedal to where you have some braking, do some of the wheels still spin? You might have some rusted cyl/calipers or constricted hoses.

Comment

When I have braking the brakes work normal for that push. As for the emergency brake, I know thats bad because the cable snapped. It can't be the bleeding because we have bled the brakes constantly.

Comment

Let the hand brake lever down all the way. If the brake light on the dash doesn't go out there is too little fluid in the master cyclinder reservoir. Unless maybe the switch on the hand brake is stuck in the "on" position.
            Sometimes the front pads won't slide on the pins because the pins are dirty and rusty. Cleaning and lubricating the pins will sometimes work.
            Have you located any particular wheel causing the problems? (Jack up the car, put the tranmission in neutral, apply the brakes, try to rotate each wheel.)
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

also the rear self adjusters are know to seize up and can cause a low pedal even with the system in good working order and fully blead. you can easily get to the adjusters once the drums are removed. both pivot points on each unit MUST be sloppy loose. you pedal will improve dramaticaly AND, once you fix the E-brake cable, you'll have a good one of those as well.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
              X