disc brake removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disc brake removal

Brakes are pulsing, so I look at my haynes manual to see how to remove the discs. Is this some sort of a joke? Says I have to remove the steering knuckle and take it to a machine shop.

It's a good time to upgrade to rebuilt aspire or Rio knuckles!
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Removing the knuckle is correct but you can do it yourself with help from this site.

Comment

The Aspire conversion is one of the best things you can do for your safety. You will be amazed at the stopping power.

Comment

Some people pull the hub off the knuckle while it's on the car but yes, the rotor is bolted to the back of the hub and the bolts are put in from the inside. Here are more photos showing how the wheels are put together
          Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Photo 17 shows the rotor bolts.
          Last edited by WmWatt; 05-28-2012, 10:38 AM.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
            It's a good time to upgrade to rebuilt aspire or Rio knuckles!
            Rio knuckles? Is there a write up on that anywhere? Haven't heard of a rio brake swap.

Comment

I'm not sure if there's any official rio brake swap thread, but if you use the rio knuckles it's as easy as bolting the brake line to the rio caliper and using all rio parts.

I have 2002 MT rio knuckles and calipers, the rio caliper bolts to the aspire spindle like it was a stock part, but you use the bolts for the caliper you use. The number on the calipers is different, but aside from the lower bolt hole not being as long, I can't see a difference.
              2008 Kia Rio- new beater
              1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
              1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
              1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
              1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
              1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
              1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
              1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Working...
              X