Radiator question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator question

I'm running a B6 with header, mild ported and polished head, and custom intake. I have factory A/C and my current radiator is a stock Festiva single core.

We are heading out on another road trip that will take us across Nevada to the Grand Canyon and through Utah. We're anticipating some pretty hot weather especially when we're around the Grand Canyon and Zion.

I have a Festiva dual core (from an automatic trasmission car) in the garage. Would it be worth swapping this radiator in before we go?

Thanks

Ian

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by fastivaca; 05-29-2012, 12:55 AM.
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Its probably more important to thoroughly trip check everything...leaks
    seeps, bearings, battery, cables..tires

However you mention high altitude , hot weather and bigger engine and
    you want us to say go for it!!? Either with or without the "new" radiator
    find the longest steepest pass around and test it before you go..then find
    another to idle up slow to see if the fans can keep it cool. Have a great trip!
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I would say yes, as long as the new radiator is in good condition.
      Brian
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
      :fish:

Comment

^ +1 bigger is better in this case.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

It is very little work to swap the rad, and it is cheap insurance against a road side stop in oppressive heat. It seems like a good idea to do the swap. You might think about having it tested first, but that costs about half the proce of a new rad, unless you have a good friend in the business.
          Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
          Icetiva-3-race-car-build
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

Might also wire a rocker switch into the ground wire that goes to the temp switch for the fan (the one you disconnect to test fan operation. That way, you can manually over-ride the temp sensor and turn the fan on whenever and for however long you want. It might be nice to get a head start on it, if the temp guage starts to climb.

I agree, if it's not new, I would have it pressure checked first. If I swapped radiators and the new one ended up being bad, causing us to break down in the middle of no where.............my wife would never let me hear the end of it.
            Last edited by blkfordsedan; 05-29-2012, 04:52 PM.
            Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
            04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
            62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
            Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Working...
            X