No announcement yet.

Replacing Piston rings in car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was saying i will have other stuff to work on. The Ranger is getting a full rebuild, and the F-100 would get a light resto/fixing up and be used as a work truck, then the countless other small projects i have going on. I don't really need another festiva either.

Comment

I had the same symptoms (including severe fouling of the #3 plug) on my old Fiat (Fix It Again, Tony) 128. I replaced the rings on the #3 cylinder -- from the bottom -- on the side of the Alcan Highway in the middle of the Yukon.

That didn't fix the problem. If you left the car overnight, it would make a cloud of smoke as big as a house on startup.

After 24,000 miles of this nonsense (where I'd have to stop to replace the fouled #3 plug before I'd have to stop for gas), I finally discovered that a #3 cylinder valve guide was cracked (steel guides pressed into aluminum head on steel block), and that's how the oil was getting into the cylinder, not from the sump upward.

I find it surprising to see all these new Fiat 500s on the road now. Those who fail to study the past (Fiats being garbage) are doomed to repeat it.
      88L black, dailydriver
      88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
      4 88/89 disassembled
      91L green
      91GL aqua pwrsteer
      92GL red a/c reardmg
      3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
      1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Working...
      X