89 auto alternator question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 auto alternator question.

Is the alternator on an 89 auto the same part as the 88-89 manual trans cars? I'm getting mixed results when I research this.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

I can take a pic of mine when I get home from work in 8hours but I'm sure you will have an answer by then lol
    -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

wow, not sure. Carbed carsneed the stator tap on the alt for the choke heater, but the '89 auto EFI doesn't use that, so I would say the '90-'93 alts would work. IIRC, either should plug up.
      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
      Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Part numbers are probably different as I think the auto had a higher amp rating (just going off of memory on that though). But I do know you can interchange any of them to any year, including most of the other B series ones as long as you aren't needing the plug for the choke heater. Even the F series can be used on a festiva just have to put the right plug and pulley on.
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

hello

The alternator for the automatic has a 50 amp rating vs. 45 amp for the manual.
          And if you are not carbuerated you don't need the choke wire.

Comment

The plug differs from the 88/89 cars and the 90-93 cars. I'm pretty sure the 89 auto uses the early plug even though it's fuel injected. If the 89 manual alternator will work I can get a spare at the salvage yard, but if it's a unique plug that is only on the 89 auto ( possible because the 89 auto has lots of unique wiring) then I had better buy the used one on eBay. I'm trying to prepare to drive my 89 across country and I'd like a spare alternator, especially if the 89 is unique.
            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

the plastic connector shell is different, but the terminals are the same. I just re-shell the harness pigtail when i convert. If I were you, Charlie, I'd just set it up to use the more common '90-'93. Also, the main thing that goes out on them are the brushes. Echlin still has them available for about $5-$10.
              Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
              Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Ask Brad - he ended up with one of my 70A Capri alternators - I think we determined it has the same plug as the EFI festy... would be a nice upgrade. He said it mounted a little different but I'm not sure by how much
                1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
                High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
                Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

Thanks Matt, I have a Capri alternator here at the house. I know they physically interchange because tweak still uses a stock festiva ( late model) alternator bolted to the b6t.
                  Thanks guys for the help. I'll bring a new style plug with me and just change the plug if I have problems on the road. I have a spare plug from a Miata already (identical to 90-93 festiva). Will (motoxpress) said the alternator sounds a bit loud so I may want a spare. Most auto parts stores have the later alternator in stock or atleast one I can swap pulleys off and make work ( mx3, protege,323, Miata ect ect.)

Comment

Figured out that the Capri pulley has to be swapped for the festy one, the V must be just a bit different. Plugs right into EFI festy harness though.
                    91GL BP/F3A with boost
                    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I have an alt from a 93-98 626 (fs), it bolts to my BP, and the connector is the same as the aspires. Not much help with your Festy problem, just figured I would confuse you a little more, they're rated 70 amps I think? Come with a v groove pulley too, I don't know if its the right one tho.
                      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                      1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                      1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                      1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                      1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                      1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                      1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
                        I have an alt from a 93-98 626 (fs), it bolts to my BP, and the connector is the same as the aspires. Not much help with your Festy problem, just figured I would confuse you a little more, they're rated 70 amps I think? Come with a v groove pulley too, I don't know if its the right one tho.
                        Lol, nice. I think that pulley uses the thicker belt, like the 1.6 Miata uses, but the alternator should bolt up and the pulleys should interchange. Now that I know the plugs will interchange i should be all set, but thanks!

Comment

Working...
                        X