Engine Cutting out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Cutting out

Someone else has seen this I know it. Hopefully!!!

1990 Festiva, Auto with AC & 74000 mile. Driving down the road 45ish @ 2200rpm the engine will start too cut out,(would stall if I let it) if you feather the gas a little it will stay running and as long as you keep the rpm's up it appears to be OK. Engine is not overheating (according to the dash temp gauge) and the cooling fan comes on and off as it has ever since I have owned the car

I have swapped known good working parts from my 1993.

VAF
    TPS

I have replaced with new.

Plugs
    Cap/Rotor
    PCV
    Air Cleaner
    Fuel Filter

Now the weird. If I unplug the Radiator Fan Contol Switch and let the fan run all the time the issue goes away

Thanx

Richard

No check engine light? Sounds like you may have bad grounds..on the engine
    and the body. Bad grounds can make the o2 readings at the computer wrong.
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
      Willing to check anything at this point.. Where is the groung you are referring to?? Why would the fan running all the time make it better??

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
        Sorry, Correct no check engine light ever..

Comment

noticed you didn't change your wires, also look for carbon tracking arround the ign coil tower.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
            noticed you didn't change your wires, also look for carbon tracking arround the ign coil tower.
            No I did not change my wires but poking arouind last night I noticed that the firing order was set for 1432. I checked my 93 and found it set at 1342 so I started researching what the true firing order should be(posted here and google)the majority say 1342 so I switched that. I replaced the cap a few weeks back and am pretty sure I did not swap 3 & 4. What really confuses me is that with 3 & 4 crossed it ran and I was still getting 35mpg. I have looked at the coil a couple times and saw nothing obvious but can say I may have looked right past it..

Thanx..

Comment

Sounds like a ground to me.

Wiggle test the engine harness.
              Last edited by Flyin4stroke; 06-07-2012, 07:31 AM.
              1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

firing order wrong should produce results far different than you described.
                Not sure exactly where the grounds are on the auto, I can look them up later
                if need be, but find them and pull the bolt, clean the threads and mating
                surfaces so that the computer has a clean playing field.

Your description sounds like it runs great then loses power until it would
                even die if you didn't wiggle the throttle some causing fuel enrichment
                then it will run some more..leading to why the computer is causing lean
                out.

Also a slightly restricted cat can cause to much EGR with similar results
                but no computer problems..and no light. Unplug the coolant temp and the
                computer will turn on the fan and turn off EGR..Over heat logic.
                Last edited by Movin; 06-07-2012, 08:40 AM.
                Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

VAF would have beat itself to death with incorrect firing order.

Comment

Follow up

Ok. Car would not barely even idle last night on the way home, it was late I was tired so I had it towed. Went out this morning cranked it 2 or 3 times did not want to run. So I swapped the fuel pump. No luck. So I switched geard and started on electical.

Pulled (main)fuseable link plugged back in and the car starts. Runs 20 minutes and comes up to temp then starts cutting out even at idle. Now I start looking at grounds. Found 3 under the hood.

Negative cable at battery, frame and transmission.

Head to Passangers strut mount

Engine harness to metal plate close to where the radiator fan plug in.

I cleaned all and put it back together. It has been running in the driveway now for over an hour perfectly. I have more question.

Negative battery cable was on upside down and barely tight, was this my issue all along?

Who can tell me where to look for more grounds?

Does the ecm ground under the dash or on the firewall?

Richard

Comment

what is an engine harness?
                      what's a VAF?

I'm not familiar with either one of these term. Is a VAF the same thing as a MAF?

Comment

fuel system?

Either a clogged cat , fuel filter or fuel pump sock, might cause your problem.
                        Last edited by windy1; 06-26-2012, 03:23 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Good chance that your fusible links are grounding out. see if there is any bare wires on them, Personally I'd replace them with plug-in fuses just by proxy.
                          1989 Carby L: Stock. Slow.
                          1998 Mustang Cobra: ported heads, cams, longtubes, 4.30 gears
                          2016 Focus ST: daily driven go-kart

Comment

Originally posted by windy1 View Post
                            Either a clogged cat , fuel filter or fuel pump sock, might cause your problem.
                            SVO might be right.Adding : have you ever pulled all your wiring connections in engine bay. And cleaned them? Even add an xtra ground connection .

Comment

as i have said on this forum before years ago my 91 had a really bad idle sometimes and after replacing almost everything easy i accidently droped a wrench and it landed on the vaf meter box wiring and it changed the idle so i shook that wire up and down and that was the problem all along so now i shake wires to so if it is a problem...easy fix sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                              X