rainy day clutch chatter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rainy day clutch chatter

Looked this up on Google. Not uncommon but discussions don't say what causes it, if there's a cure, and if it's important. Mine's an '89 L 4-speed with 116k km, mostly city driving. I'm really light on the gas pedal. I do gear down when decellerating. Usually goes away after 10-15 min driving.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

I thought chatter was from the flywheel needing resurfaced?
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

If you're getting rain chatter, it's probably due to oil contamination on either the clutch disk or flywheel/pressure plate surfaces.

If you have an inspection plate, is it installed properly? Water shouldn't be getting into the clutch area readily, and even if it does, just slipping the clutch one time (taking off from a stop) should basically cause it to evaporate.

However, if it's water /and/ oil, it won't evaporate as quickly since part of the water will emulsify under heat into the oil, so the effect can last longer.

I've never personally had the rainy day blues, though.

Comment

Working...
      X