Dead in the parking lot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead in the parking lot

The car is a 92 Festiva 5 speed stick with 200k, the problems started a week ago, drove 45 min's to a job, went inside, came out almost right away, cranked it, no go, so i ate my dinner and drank a pop, about a half hour later, i cranked it and hey it's running, so i get home and change the dizzy, starts up ok, alright we are good to go, nope the next day i'm on the road and stop for gas, it will not start i had to push the car off to the side. So i get home grab a coil from one of the other cars, head back and install said coil, car starts right up so we head home, we get there, turn the car off, try to restart, but the thing will not start again so now i'm looking for Dynomite. It does have good spark from the coil to the plugs. I'm just courios, could it be the Fuel pump going bad, oh and the fuel filter has been replaced with an inline see through type. What are your thoughts.
    An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Seems like the same thing that happens to my ranger once in a great while. It will suddenly die, and then sometimes won't start back up for a few hours, but then it starts right back up. My dad's assumption is that there could possibly be a grain of sand or something in the filter which clogs it up sometimes, and it just has to float back down. I know you said you have a new fuel filter but it's something to check out.

Comment

Starter maybe? When it heats up from motor running it won't work, When motor/enginebay cooks it works. Maybe?
      If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Not buying the "grain of sand" in the filter theory, the filters are more robust than that, especially if its new.
        SC72, next time it shuts down pop the fuel line off and see if fuel flows when it is cranked.
        I assume it hasn't shut down on you while driving.
        Wondering about the VAF connection and microswitch in the VAF.
        Just a though.
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
          Not buying the "grain of sand" in the filter theory, the filters are more robust than that, especially if its new.
          I would hope the newer ones nowadays would be a little better. Just throwin' an idea out there.

Keep in mind my truck is almost 30 years old!

Comment

Originally posted by navdoc101 View Post
            Starter maybe? When it heats up from motor running it won't work, When motor/enginebay cooks it works. Maybe?
            Good point!
            I assumed it was cranking, but wouldn't start.
            Could be bad ground or ignition switch, or maybe corroded fuse box under the hood behind the battery.
            When it wont start, do you still have functional lights?
            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
            Your holy ghost will not save you.
            Your God plutonium will not save you.
            In fact...
            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Make sure a large enough dose of dynamite is on the east side of known
              good parts , I am west of you! Both the pick up and the festy could have
              a bad ignitor/ignition module, this sounds like something that gets hot then
              wants to fail. There are several other possibilities but test the common stuff first.
              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

ok i'm back from supper and home made ice cream with owl cup cakes, anyway Yes she cranks, no starter problem, yes all lights function, took the car for a drive 20 min's maybe, backed in the drive, shut it down and it started right up, i'm glad but whats up with that. Fuse block was cleaned, followed Nitrofarm instructions, did fuse swap 30 40 30, i will take a gas can along and check fuel flow right away, your correct it does not shut down while driving. VAF conection is good and clean, i pealed the tape back and all the spades are tight, well they do wiggle but not falling out loose.
                Last edited by sc72; 06-07-2012, 07:31 PM.
                An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Jump the fuel pump test connector. This bypasses the VAF fuel pump switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                    Both the pick up and the festy could have
                    a bad ignitor/ignition module, this sounds like something that gets hot then
                    wants to fail. There are several other possibilities but test the common stuff first.
                    +1. Had the same issue on a 90 CRX. Replaced by dealer as a recall item.
                    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

You may want to check the temp sensor. Does it feel like its bogging out a little after it gets warmed up? Typically I've had coils fail to start only when cold, not only when hot. It is possible to have spark and not be strong enough to ignite the mix. What did the plugs look like? Wet smelling like fuel, dry white looking? Off there wet looking double check the coil, if there dry and white it could be the fuel pump going out.
                      Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
                      93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
                      91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
                      93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
                      15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
                      88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Movin- I thought the same thing about the ignition module, so i swaped in a known good dizzy. The coil assembly has been swaped.

Georgeb- i will do this today if it leaves me sitting, i made a small jumper and i have a gas can ready to go.

Gauge- yes to the first question. when i took it out for a drive last night i did notice a stumble, this came when i went to pass another car, i slapped the throtle and it stumbled, not sure why i didn't ease into it but, today i drove the car a little and yes the stumble is there, just as you hit the throtle.

Gauge, here are the plugs in order from left to right. looks a little lean.

Pu241, thanks for your thoughts.

Comment

betcha it's the fuel pump..
                          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                          1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                          1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                          1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                          1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                          1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                          1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

This same problem is happening to me but my car has been sitting a week now. Been told its the fuel pump but just dont see why It would just stop working cuz the car was shut off for only a week...
                            1991 Auto Ford Festiva " Noel " <-- cuz theres No L in Festiva
                            1991 Manual Ford Festiva
                            1999 ford f-250 5.4L My gas guzzler.

Comment

At this point I would buy or rent a fuel pressure tester. That's what it looks like to me, is it running lean when it does run, after the pump gets warm, it just can't push the right pressure.
                              Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
                              93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
                              91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
                              93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
                              15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
                              88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Working...
                              X