Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 Intake vacuum ports?

Ok, a plea for help.
    I have searched here and on the net, and havent found much about these "things" on the bottom of my intake. One yellow, one blue.

This is a 1988 carb intake. I know they are vacuum, and have that mess of metal tubes that bolt to this spot. I would like to eliminate that mass of tubes.

By drddan at 2012-06-06

I only need vacuum for the PVC, the disty advance, and 1-2 more things.
    That mess of tubes is no longer needed.
    Do I have to use the blue, and yellow things? Can I/should I plug them?
    I can get metric pipe plugs.
    All vaccum I need, can be gotten from the carb or manifold itself, is what I am thinking.

Anyone here done this?
    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

If they are already plugged and they do not affect your engine performance, substitute them with metric pipe plugs.

Comment

Somebody was asking about hooking up the hoses. There was a bit of a discussion about those plugs. I posted a photo in the thread but can't remember what the subject line was or where the hoses went. I'd say what to search on if I could remember.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
        If they are already plugged and they do not affect your engine performance, substitute them with metric pipe plugs.
        They are not plugged at the moment. The top of those plastic ports, have a small foam filter that goes in the top of port, covered by a cap that snaps on them. It appeared to have a one way design ???
        Blowing with air pressure on one of the 2 inlets, would blow out the top of the main port, and the other would not, on each. Weird.
        I want to plug them with threaded plugs.
        I kinda dont want to, at the moment, cause I am doing a B6 swap, and I dont want that to be a problem, when I get it in and am trying to start it the first time.
        But when I think about it, it shouldnt be a problem to plug them.
        Dan

R.I.P.
        Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

They are water thermo valves. They open vacuum passage to #1 purge control valve and fast idle cam breaker according to engine temp. You can decide if they're necessary on your setup.

Comment

i have weber/empi carb on my 89 and only have the two vacuum lines from dizzy hooked up,as for these as long as you have no vacuum going to them then you do not have to worry about them.mine runs fine without messing with them also i have removed all the emission equipment except the egr and i for now i have a vacuum line running from the top of it to the bottom,later on i'm going to make a block off plate for it

Comment

My 2 cents.

Leave them alone for now. I'm looking into doing the weber swap. It looks like, maybe, almost all the vacuum lines and most of the wiring is no longer needed.

No O2 sensor, no ECM. The electric cooling fan relay could be wired to trigger directly off the temp sensor on the 'front side' of the motor. I know the B3 carb dizzy isn't controlled by the ECM.

Is there really a metric pipe thread? I've always used an NPT fitting on import cars.

The thermal switched vacuum ports could be used to alter your ignition advance based on engine temperature. I'll be doing some more research on this.
              Last edited by BigElCat; 06-08-2012, 08:49 PM.
              '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

Originally posted by blueoval View Post
                i have weber/empi carb on my 89 and only have the two vacuum lines from dizzy hooked up,as for these as long as you have no vacuum going to them then you do not have to worry about them.mine runs fine without messing with them also i have removed all the emission equipment except the egr and i for now i have a vacuum line running from the top of it to the bottom,later on i'm going to make a block off plate for it
                Ha! I did the same! Top to bottom on the egr with a vac line, making it a "plug" so to speak. I just wanna cap it now, and possibly can be used as a vacuum source to run other things ..like ... up idle valves, pcv valves, etc, by tapping a fitting into the vacuum side opening.
                I have made a block off plate, and I may tap the plate with a 1/4 pipe fitting, inline with the vacuum passage hole, and see how that works. I can always plug that one too, if it doesnt work well.

Are you saying that if the yellow and blue ports, dont have anything hooked to them at all, that they are closed, and wont effect the vacuum system?

Originally posted by BigElCat View Post
                My 2 cents.

Leave them alone for now. I'm looking into doing the weber swap. It looks like, maybe, almost all the vacuum lines and most of the wiring is no longer needed.

No O2 sensor, no ECM. The electric cooling fan relay could be wired to trigger directly off the temp sensor on the 'front side' of the motor. I know the B3 carb dizzy isn't controlled by the ECM.

Is there really a metric pipe thread? I've always used an NPT fitting on import cars.

The thermal switched vacuum ports could be used to alter your ignition advance based on engine temperature. I'll be doing some more research on this.
                Yea, most of my harness is cable tied into the the left side rear corner the the eng bay

Yes metric pipe plugs.

Good luck on the research!

...Oh..if anyone needs some good pics of that spagetti like mass of metal tubes :eeeeeek:

I have a few I could post, but is when it was dirty ugly ,black with oil, but can still see them

yeah...and .....Thanks all!!!!!
                Last edited by drddan; 06-08-2012, 09:08 PM.
                Dan

R.I.P.
                Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

yes i'm saying do not worry about them my car runs great

Comment

I could be wrong (and probably am) but I believe they are threaded into a water port and not vacuum. I think you run a vacuum hose to one nipple and when the water temp gets to a specific temp, they open up and send a vacuum signal to whatever is hooked up to the second nipple. If you leave them alone they shouldn't have any effect other than the visual clutter factor.
                    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Here ya go http://www.fordforumsonline.com/foru...-diagrams.html
                      89 festiva all of a mighty 1.3 Tha Black Bullet and good ole casper got casper when I was 15 and loved em ever since

Comment

^^^ Wow. Never heard of that site before.

Thank you very much! That is good info. I'll have to subscibe to my own thread! :p
                        Dan

R.I.P.
                        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Ive never actually heard of it myself one day i was surfing and found i tried getting it stickied and yet still no luck i thought it wad VERY useful info
                          89 festiva all of a mighty 1.3 Tha Black Bullet and good ole casper got casper when I was 15 and loved em ever since

Comment

Do those vacuum switches in the pic on the first page of this thread need to be capped if not being used or will they leak vacuum?

Comment

No they switch what is sent to them, nothing to them nothing happens.
                              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
                              X