X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BP+T strange engine cutoff under full throttle

this is on my 91 festiva turboed BP.

basic problem:
    my festiva is cutting out at high rpms under full throttle.
    it has always cut out since ive owned it when the gas gauge reads under half a tank. but now it does it even with a full tank. it seems to get worse the less gas i have. seems to happen sooner in lower gears, but that may be because my rpms are climbing faster.

description of issue:
    under full throttle the car accelerates fine, builds boost, then as the rpms climb it will suddenly cut out completely. almost like the car is shut off completely. if i let off the gas slightly it will kick back in but do it again shortly later. if i hold the pedal in, it just continues to die.

it seems to happen mostly between 5k-6k rpms. but when turning right or with less fuel in the tank, it seems to happen sooner.

the wideband is reading around 14.7 while cruising, 17s while decelerating, 13s while accelerating out of boost, 11.2 while in 5psi of boost. i havnt noticed any leaning out richening right before it cuts out.

what ive tried so far:
    i changed the fuel filter and it seemed to help a little. i replaced the fuel pump filter as well. (both appeared dirty) but the problem still persists.

it seems to have slowly gotten worse over the past few months. but it almost acts like there is some type of limp mode or boost cut or some electronic cutoff happening under all normal driving situations, the car runs like a champ.

How much boost are you running max?

Whats your setup as far as ECU, wiring, etc?

Mine cuts out when I get down to 1/4 tank or so. My guess is fuel moving away from the sock in the tank.

What fuel pump are you using?
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

What air flow meter are you running and what injectors are you running?

Comment

I got that from fouled spark plugs...
        06 vw Bora
        09 Nissan Versa
        fastest B6T is back!!!
        http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/785928

Comment

I used to have cutting out when I was at 1/4 of a tank and came to find out that it was because the sock was coming off.
          91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
          14 C7 Z51

Comment

probe turbo vaf. im told its a bpt ecu but ive never looked at it (seems like a pain to get to). 360cc injectors. FMU. walboro 255lph fp

Comment

I say either plug gap, or fouled plugs or something in the dizzy...I think it's something from ignition
              -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

Originally posted by M3NTAL View Post
                I say either plug gap, or fouled plugs or something in the dizzy...I think it's something from ignition
                X2
                06 vw Bora
                09 Nissan Versa
                fastest B6T is back!!!
                http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/785928

Comment

i pulled the plugs. they arent close to being fouled. but they have been in the car as long as ive had it:eeeeeek: so i replaced them with some new ngkr bk7r. havnt driven it yet though.

it does have msd ignition, i wonder if that has gone bad somehow, but i didnt install it so i dont how to bypass it without doing some research.

Comment

Spark blow out..

It's getting worse cause you plug gap is getting bigger while you drive it. I run my plugs around .27 factory I believe is .35. I've talked to guys who run even less like .23.
                    1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

well new plugs didnt fix it. i didnt check the gap tho.

i was cruising down the highway following my gf in her 240sx. a vr6 turbo pulled up next to us. obviously i wasnt going to race him (i didnt want to embarrass him, plus the condition of my car explained in this thread), anyhow my gf did a pull with him from like 70mph, i rolled on the gas like half throttle to stay behind and watch. then POP my exhaust backfired and the car jus died completely.

i coasted off tthe exit ramp and pushed it into a parking lot. it would start for anything. it just turns over and over and doesnt even sputter. the fmu was reading that it has fuel pressure, but i didnt have any tools with to check anything.

im gonna grab some tools and see what i can figure out. definitely seems electrical.

i will check the plugs see what they look like now. they were bk6r-11 and now they are bk7r. i didnt think that owuld make a difference but who knows.

any ideas what to check before i head out? maybe the msd failed?

Comment

turned out to be the ignition control module.

thank you arty, for diagnosing and replacing this part for me.

and thank God for letting me break down so close to arty's house

Comment

you don't have an ignition module eating high out put coil?

coil ohms around .5 ohms will make stock modules smoke but
                          AZ and others push there sale!
                          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

old module lacked required thermal paste, it cooked itself even though it was attached to an aluminum heatsink. Ghost has been instructed to add the thermal paste before car is driven again.
                            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

the last one lasted 3 years with no thermal paste

but the festy will sit until i pick some up and do it right this time.

Comment

Working...
                              X