oil filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil filters

Has anyone ever had a new bad oil filter ?
    I rebuilt one of my b3 engines and all was fine for 3 days ,then on the forth day my oil light came on .I was going nuts changed the sender still had oil light ,
    installed a gauge still had low pressure ,last resort changed oil filter bang I got oil pressure. I will not ever buy stp brand filter again.
    Donn

I've never had any issues with STP filters. I did have trouble with a store brand back in the 70's . Swapped it out,problem solved.
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

I always get a Rocker tic with the fram filters on theses 1.3L
      (paperboy 23) 88 Festy Blue, aspire Engine/trans/efi swap,

Comment

Did you cut the old filter open to see what happened? How did the old oil look? Any damage done to the engine?
        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
        62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
        Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Could be that the flowback ( or bypass can't remember the name) valve inside the filter could have gone bad. Although it is weird that it would fail that fast.

Comment

cardboard ends.....
            91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
            06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
            95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Chobobulous View Post
              cardboard ends.....
              That's what I was thinking.

I do use Fram Tough Guard, and haven't had any issues with them as long as I have been using them.

Comment

I always use K&N, a little more expensive, but you gotta pay for quality.
                If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Been running STP for years on my festivas, and other cars as well. No problems yet, but then again that doesn't mean you didn't get a bad one from the factory, it can happen.
                  No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Honda came in with loss of oil and engine failure, the car had been to a quick lube
                    Oil can H and they used Fram filters out here. Fram did not recognize the difference
                    between AWD civics and standard ones. This caused the threads to bottom before
                    proper crush was obtained on the square oring. By the time the oil light came
                    on..on the interstate, the engine was toast. It turns out fram was cost saving by
                    using a subaru oil filter with the same specs and almost the same dimensions.
                    and the AWD will not fit right. Fram used to be pretty good but after they got
                    bought out??? I don't use them.
                    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

No damage that I can tell, but I did kill it as soon as the low oil light came on. Never let it get above idle after the light, and after I installed the oil pressure gauge it pegged 50 psi at cold start then fell to 4-5 psi, Thats why I thought of the oil filter .
                      My next step was to pull the engine to see it may have spun a main ,
                      I always take my time with this kind of stuff and this is not the first engine I ever built .
                      But who is perfect and I was thinking my old torq wrench may have had a hiccup that I missed.
                      I have not opened the stp filter
                      I used a new Purolator filter and all seems to be ok now.and the oil is so clean that its hard to see it on the dip stick unless I hold the stick up to the light to see the level
                      Donn

Comment

Wix and purolator (pure one) are pretty good I've heard. Napa gold is a reboxed Wix.

Ive always heard Fram is junk.
                        91GL BP/F3A with boost
                        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I went to the billet permanent style with the medical grade stainless steel mesh cleanable element inside. I use them on my Harley and my Mustang. Waiting to see how they work out before I put them on my Festys.

Comment

filters

I read a while back that Fram has been bought out, the article didn't mention who owns them now, but i doubt the quality will go up. Wix is a good quality filter, i have a filter cutter and use it at every oil change, the filters always look good. Iirc they filter down to 18/20 micron.
                            An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

I usually just use the cheapest filter that the store has at the time. Usually, it's Purolater and I've never had any problems. However, I'm trying a new one on my Ranger called Promotive, but I've never had a problem with any oil filters so I'm hoping I won't start now.

Comment

Working...
                              X