carburetor issue, possible FICB - please read :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carburetor issue, possible FICB - please read :(

I will try to be brief, but I really really need some assistance with this one... I've exhausted my troubleshooting efforts and am losing moral. Bare with me please

The story
    I rebuilt my '88 L. I had Aspire pulleys, so I used the Aspire alternator, but I had no choke heater port. I wired a 12v lead to go to the choke heater and used that for a few months to power the heater. After awhile, the choke stopped working correctly. I had assumed my choke heater fried, so I swapped carbys, and made a simple circuit to drop the 12v to 7v so that I wouldn't fry the 2nd carb. I found the 92-93 Festiva pulleys and put the Festiva alternator back on. Choke heater function works great on the 2nd carb. I found another choke heater assembly from a jy and swapped it onto the 1st carb. So!

I finally swapped the 1st carb back onto my vehicle, but, once running the idle never drops below 2000-2500. This has led me to believe the FICB is just not functioning properly.. The FICB diaphragm is good, the choke heater is good and receiving current, and the ported vacuum switch is good (since the other carb worked correctly). When I pulled the air cleaner after running for a bit, I found this:

The main airhorn flap was just wide open and didn't want to return to being closed. If you played with the accelerator arm, and the FICB diaphragm lever, it still wanted to 'fall down' and the flap stayed open. The other carb's FICB assembly has a tendency to rotate counter-clockwise and push the lever up and the flap closes like this:

From looking at it and playing with it for a long time, I can not ascertain why the assembly 'goes limp' and does not return to it's original position.

What can make a FICB function this incorrectly?

Why don't you use the second carburetor?

Comment

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
      Why don't you use the second carburetor?
      2 carbs, 2 Festivas. 120k 1st vs 300k 2nd

Comment

For the high idle speed, check the secondary side of the carb. When it's running, grab hold of the end of the secondary shaft and try to turn it more closed. Sometimes the secondary doesn't close completely if it is sticking and even a slight amount of opening will give you high rpms.
        You gonna race that thing?
        http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...t%3B%26quot%3B See post #7 for temp repair of stuck secondary.

Comment

i have one that is brand new got over 300 dollars in it. after i got it found out that i was missing all the emission stuff so i just bought a weber/empi will sell the new feedback carb for 180shipped just to get some of my money back can send pics to you,do not know how to post on here but can through email or cell phone.

Comment

right below your bottom arrow the fast idle screw
              is on the high step of the cam, as the plate stays
              open this should drop off the cam. I suspect this may
              be the area that is holding the choke open as well.
              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
              X