B6T won't stay idling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B6T won't stay idling

I'm running out of ideas on my 323, I just got done dropping in a fresh B6T, everything piece of electronics from the old motor was re-used, intake, injectors, knock sensor etc.

On a cold start up it'll idle fine, once it get to operating temp it'll just die

At first I thought maybe my timing belt was out a bit, checked it and all good, then I thought vacuum leak, just got done pulling the intake and re-sealing it, all vacuum lines are hooked up etc. I'm running out of ideas as to what to check for

Anyone else have any ideas??

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

How old is the gas? What is the idle screw set at? Did you forget any rags in the intercooler plumbing? I know your on top of that stuff Chris, this is pretty much a list of things I've had problems with in the past while swapping engines. It's probably something simple.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

It's got fresh gas (filled up last night) the idle screw wasnt touched and since it's the same intake from the old motor, which ran fine, so I don't think that's the problem, I've probably driven it about 45mins drive time with this motor so far

I've gone over as much of the simple stuff as possible but still no change

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Oh I should also mention the car feels down right lazy, I don't see 10psi til like 4k rpm (stock turbo) which is why I thought vacuum leak or timing belt

Comment

Have you checked for boost leaks? Perhaps one of the cold side pipes isn't tight......

Comment

Yup checked the charge pipes, all good there

Comment

Didn't you own like the FIRST b6t festy? Lol
              91GL BP/F3A with boost
              13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

It was the SECOND B6T festiva, jeez get your facts right :p

Comment

Well I talked with the guy I got the 323 from, he said he always had an issue with idling, and what he found was a loose connection at the VAF, which he zip-tied the connector tight to the VAF to fix it.... When I pulled the motor I cut off all the zip ties, so I'll put some back on to see what happens

Comment

Mine was a leaking blow off valve , that i didnt hear . Im deaf anyway !!
                    New build on the way .

Comment

Lazy could mean an injector is clogged

I remember on my truck it made 400 hp with 7 injectors(1 clogged) lol but 558 @14lbs with 8 lol
                      -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

Technically it should idle(limp mode) if you unplug the VAF, but maybe not. Does it sputter and die? or just fade off.
                        Hodginsa - Photography - Cars, people, everything.

Festy is For Sale...

Comment

Well it ran fine with the old motor and it's the same injectors so I don't think that I got one that's stuck or anything but at this point I have no idea

At this point I'm getting so fed up with stupid B6T's it would have been easier to rebuild the old motor at this point, so if I can't get this POS to run right.... Well.... I have a spare KL sitting in my garage, I know it ran mint
                          Last edited by Damkid; 06-15-2012, 08:42 PM.

Comment

carbon buildup in the air bypass screw port? you state that when cold, it idles fine (IAC is working), once warm it stalls (IAC is out of circuit once engine is warm). also, look at your IAT voltage output (ignored when cold).
                            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by hodginsa View Post
                              Technically it should idle(limp mode) if you unplug the VAF, but maybe not. Does it sputter and die? or just fade off.
                              Nope... VAF is a critical ECU input. The fuel pump switch is in there too, so without it - no fuel.

Chris - Vac leak would be my guess. Also, have you tried messing with the spark timing? It needs to be set with vac removed from the dist. This can cause idle issues & lack of power if it's not set right.

VAF plug might cause it...

Try bumping the idle with the setscrew for the time being & see what happens
                              1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
                              High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
                              Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

Working...
                              X