Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help!! need help puting in a dizzy and getting it in time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help!! need help puting in a dizzy and getting it in time.

my dad has a 91 festiva 4 cyc 5 speed. he is putting a 90 motor in it. he is needing to know how to put in the dizzy and get it in time. any help would be great. thanks.

thanks for looking 13 times but not even slight interest in helping bump.

Comment

The dizzy only goes in one way. If you look at the staft, you will notice the difference on each of the wings. The way I do it is to take number one plug out, put your finger in the hole, and turn motor by hand until air pressure pushes your finger out. Then take a screw driver place it in the hole and rotate the motor by hand again back and forth till the piston is at the very top. With the dizzy in, put the cap on and check and see if the rotor is where the number one plug wire is in the cap. There probably is an easier way to do it but this is the way i've done it for years. There are lots of threads on this subject if you would just use the search method and find them.
      Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
      93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
      01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Assuming the rotor is still on it it should be close enough to start if you have it midway in the adjustment slot. If you have another Festy to compare the slot position that would be even better. To time you need to jump the STI plug to ground. Think for EFI set at 10 deg BTDC. Might need manual.

Comment

Assuming he still has the old motor in the car, or at least near by, have him make a mark on the distributor at a place that has a common mark on both the old and new heads. What that will do is to give him the exact same timing as his old engine until he has a chance to get it timed with a timing light like has been described to you above.

Originally posted by rustybobblehead View Post
          thanks for looking 13 times but not even slight interest in helping bump.
          And about this thing here ^ remember these two things: there's a lot more guy's on here like YOU than ME...guys who are in a hurry and don't know anything, but are trying to learn! Don't ever confuse apathy with knowledge.
          Last edited by iceracerdude; 06-16-2012, 07:59 AM.
          97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
          CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
          Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

^
            Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
            Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
            Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Originally posted by iceracerdude View Post
              Remember these two things: there's a lot more guy's on here like YOU than ME...guys who are in a hurry and don't know anything, but are trying to learn! Don't ever confuse apathy with knowledge.
              That my friend, is a classic!
              Hats off and a sincere bow in your direction!
              '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
              '92 Aqua parts Car
              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
              Your holy ghost will not save you.
              Your God plutonium will not save you.
              In fact...
              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

This is not hondatech either. Their solution to every ignition problem is a stolen engine swap and dongrading to obd1
                1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

^^^LOL

Setting the distributor on many import engines is like looking through a reference book. If you don't have the index (mark), start in the middle and work your way to what you want.

Comment

Here's todays latest prices: Amazon.com is selling "used, good condition" ford festiva & aspire service manuals with starting prices of $0.90 with 3.99 shipping.
                    This is the best value on a good, used, essential, American made tool, you'll ever find. imho
                    Last edited by iceracerdude; 06-16-2012, 05:43 PM.
                    97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                    CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                    Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Working...
                    X