High crankcase pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High crankcase pressure

I've had issues with oil in the intake over the last little while. When I installed the new intake pipes I also put on one of those little valve cover filters. During our road trip I discovered that oil was being blow out of that filter. I ran a compression check recently and had readings of 175, 125, 125, & 125 starting with #1. I've also noticed that you can feel pulses of air with the filler cap off. The PCV valve is new.

Am I looking at bad rings?

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Dry and Wet??
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
      Dry and Wet??
      Just dry. I'm doing some work on the car in the morning... I'll run a wet test then.

Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Comment

sticking secondary compression and oil control rings rank high on the list.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Is there something longer lasting than top end cleaner to put in the oil and clean this
          carbon out? Shoot old carbed engines would clean there own rings everytime a
          mechanical fuel pump ruptured. Maybe a mix of diesel and e10 gasoline? Have to
          keep it around 20% to prevent engine damage. To much e10 or crankcase flush
          will take out seals..What is everybody using and any ill effects?
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

here is the link for the proper way to do a cylinder test

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

Pulses in the crank case is normal while running, those pistons flying up and down are displacing air along with the rods and crank moving around its a hurrican in there
            money pit

No spitters were I work, you swallow it all. The Company feels if you already have it in your mouth why waste it.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I'll doing some work on the car today and will report back.

Ian
              Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

You can fill up crankcase with diesel fuel, and soak soak soak spin engine by hand every few hours drain and use high detergent heavy duty diesel truck oil for your next oil change. To take it further thin that 15w40 down with some semi solvent like marvel mystery oil. Seafoam is supposed to get to the rings but it burns and blows right out as soon as you start and run engine, the idea is to keep cleaners circulating a while while hot and fluid.
                1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Speaking from personal experience with the same issue on same engine. It's going to gradually get worse. You can add a catch can inline from the pcv to the intake to monitor the amount, check it every couple days or it will over flow into #1 and ash up the plug really badly. It will more than likely need a rebuild in the future, but mine did that a little bit for about 50k before it started getting really bad. I tried and tried to find what was causing the oil pushing out the pcv, it blowby. You can try the above "remedies", but its more than likely just like mine was.
                  Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
                  93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
                  91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
                  93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
                  15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
                  88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

another option is to steam clean the engine (via judicious use of water into a vaccum port)
                    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Its a tough one emotionally( lol)when the car isn't down on power and economy is the same
                      If not the case skip remedies and yank for rebuild, I'd agree.
                      1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

I tried a lot, even picked the master Arty's brain. It was yard for me to justify the tear down. When I did the rings/pistons were virtually spotless.
                        Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
                        93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
                        91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
                        93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
                        15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
                        88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

You can do this for about $8 first. A lot of us use this stuff called Sea Foam. We pretty much use it two different ways. The first way is a "fogging" of sorts. we use about a "third" of a can and use one of the vacuum tubes off the intake manifold to suck it into the engine while warmed up and idling. The engine will want to stall, but don't let it, that is until it gets to the very end of the sea foam you're feeding it, then yes let it die and shut it off. Then you let the car sit for 30 to 45 min and then restart it and run the car around for about 5 min. There will be some smoking while putting this stuff in, but there will be a lot of smoking for a few min/miles when you restart it 30-45 min later so be advised, think about when and where you want to do this, and make sure it's not in a garage. This technique will clean your injectors, combustion chambers, including the tops of the pistons and valves.
                          Notice how your car "starts" before you do this treatment, and then again after you do the this treatment (and it's cleared out), there will be a big difference in starting right after doing just one treatment!
                          Do another "third" of a can maybe a week or so later or as you see fit.
                          This second technique is where you're at right now, and that's what we call a "piston soak". Pull your spark plugs and put about a 1/2 ounce down each cylinder, replace the plugs and let it sit for around 45 min. before running it again. This will target the pistons crowns and rings specifically for you. Now that was not "about" a 1/2 ounce or 1-1/2 ounces, or even 1/2 can...
                          I know the can will say you can add it to the crankcase oil, but my advice would be to avoid that entirely especially on an older engine with suspect crank bearings.
                          Consider replacing all of you valve stem seals, that's another source of back pressure inside of that vc.
                          It's certainly not a rebuild, but it will surprise you and maybe buy you a little time to save up for a rebuild or a swap later. Let us know what you think.
                          Last edited by iceracerdude; 06-17-2012, 05:24 AM.
                          97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                          CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                          Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

I agree about the Seafoam treatment. It seems to do a good job, but I also agree with Dennis. My experience has been that once they get to this point, they go pretty fast. Sometimes a Seafoam treatment or flush can make it worse.
                            Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                            04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                            62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                            Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Working...
                            X