fouling spark plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fouling spark plugs

okay so i need yall's professional opinion, these plugs only got about 10k miles on them and there all fouled about the same. notice the sludge on the number 3 plug, i dont know whats thats from, but number 1 had it too and i wiped it off before the pic. whats that from?

fyi it only uses about 1 quart oil every 1000 miles or so. my last b3 i had in this car used 1 quart every 100 miles and it only fouled 1, and 2 plugs. is this blowby or valve stem seals or what? also if anybody remembers one of my previous posts it doesnt smoke except at startup, and when accelerating after coasting down long hills... and theres many where i live.
    93 L plus 5 speed, custom herculined paint job, custom billet grille

Valve cover leak.

Comment

I sort of looks like maybe number three wasnt threaded all way in and oil was blowing out cause the filaments of plugs don't look bad at all.
      Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
      93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
      01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

thats what i thought but checked everywhere and did not see any sign of leakage

Comment

yeah i bet ur right come to think of it did seem very loose

Comment

okay so we got that figured out what about the fouling? is it blowby or valve seals or both?

Comment

Do a "wet" compression test. Test each cylinder "dry", dump a teaspoon of oil in each one and test again. If the numbers are significantly higher, it's bottom end. If they're not, it's top end. (Unless the rings are terribly bad, then it could still be bottom end.

Comment

It it were me, I would put new plugs in and drive it for a week. Make sure plugs are in tight and make sure the washer on plug is on the right way. If I am correct, but don't quote me, one side of the washer is a little beveled so the plug seats better. Plug number three washer looks awful flat on the thread side, maybe whoever put plugs in last may have put washer on wrong. Some plugs come with them already on, some are loose in box and you have to put them on. If they aren't on right, it could cause them to not seat right. After a week or even a couple weeks take plugs out and check them to see if they are fouling up on inside and see if they are collecting oil around the base of the plug on the outside of hole. Thats just the way I would do it.
                Last edited by milehighbear; 06-16-2012, 08:55 PM.
                Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
                93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
                01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Working...
                X