95 aspire with first gen b6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 aspire with first gen b6

okay i have completed the swap and i have been driving the car for a day now . It seems to have more power but is sluggish on take off . Its like the power is there but you cant have it . I installed the fms header and factory aspire intake and distributer . I timed the distributer by ear and feel as always and it seems to run better with it rolled all the back to the dash like its a tooth out of time ,but all that has been cked several times .
    Has new plugs wires cap button and air filter ,all lines are connected and dont hear any vac leaks and its not old gas .
    If you ease in to the throttle less then half its fine but if you stomp it ,it will hold back till the rpm comes up then you can feel it open up and run good .
    Are the first gen b6 distributers clocked dif then the aspire . My engine didnt come with one . And again thanks for all input on this .
    New build on the way .

The inj plugs are dif on the b6 inj so i didnt install them yet . Im waiting till i get it runing good so i can install my cam as well .
    When i set timing ive been unhooking the battery after to reset ecm to the changes ,im not real sure on these how to take it out of the loop .
    New build on the way .

Comment

Just a little thought the 1gen b6 came with a vac advance distributer, the cam may be set up a little different. Not sure if it makes a huge difference.
      Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
      93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
      91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
      93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
      15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
      88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Thats what im wondering i figured it had vac advance . I think i remember festyboy had completed this same swap ?
        New build on the way .

Comment

What ecu are you running? I would say put the injectors in for starters, you don't want to be leaning it out, especially since you have the header on there with the b3 injectors. The second gen injectors have the same clips as stock.
          Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
          93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
          91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
          93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
          15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
          88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

It's the aspire ecu.
            The inj in the second gen , do they have oval plugs with plastic clips . Instead of the wire retainers .
            I just recently scrapped the one I had because it was full of rust .
            Does anyone know what cc the aspire inj are verses the b6 ?
            New build on the way .

Comment

Aspire injectors and ECU don't sound good to run a B6 with, but that's just my opinion.

Also, Arty told me he didn't think the B6 FMS header was good for a stock B6 as it is too large and IIRC, it would not do too well on the low end. The idea I got from that is the FMS header is primarily to improve a built up screamer at the higher rpms.

Karl
              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Well thanks for the info karl ! I just went on an adventure with the search button and found the injector info i was looking for from an old post of skeeters . Turns out there is 10 cc dif between the b3 and b6 inj and the b8 inj are 30 cc more then the b6.
                Anyway i reset timing again and its running better then before ,but still doesnt seem to open up . I think im going to throw the cam and b8 injectors in and see how it does then .
                New build on the way .

Comment

The clocking of anything B6 should be suspect. Find and mark TDC from #1 piston.
                  Mark Cam from #4 over lap and for more bottom end you could advance
                  the cam a few deg...do not use belt cogs that is way to much. Make a advance key
                  or get an adjustable cam gear.

To precisely locate TDC and Overlap, use a degree wheel and rock engine in both
                  directions until you see motion, mark that spot, then measure the distance to the
                  exact middle and index that spot on your engine with a grease pencil.

When the engine is set with the above indexes done the disty should be installed
                  in the firing position for #1. advance the housing about 10 deg and snug bolts..that
                  should give a real close starting point.

Please ignore all factory marks and don't use them unless they match your
                  measurements...There are too many marks.

You may have done all this but just checking to make sure what is going on!
                  Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

If you suspect a lean condition monitor the o2 with a dvom and voltages averaging
                    from .100 to .250 would be lazy lean. Crisp would be averaging .450 volts.
                    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

there is a thread on fordaspire.com about iceracerdude's B6 swap into a 97 Aspire, similar things should hold true. As for plugging in an early B6 to an aspire harness, it just is not plug and play because the electronics are different. You would have to swap wiring harnesses and get into running a VAF and such. I would look into putting an restrictor on the exhaust tail pile and see if that gives you some bottom end back.
                      89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
                      94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
                      2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
                      1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

I'm not familiar with the Aspire ECU, but typically, the injectors and the ECU should match. The ECU calculates the injector puse width based on what it is told the injectors flow. On the MAF cars I'm used to, the MAF meter is calibrated to the injector size. If you run larger B6 or B8 injectors on an ECU/MAF that thinks it's controlling the smaller B3 injectors, I expect it will run rich.
                        In theory, it shouldn't matter what cam you run (in terms of ignition timing)...as long as you can turn the distributor enough to get the timing adjusted where it needs to be. I realize that the distributor drive is a slot, but there is no exact or precise clocking of the distributor-to-cam positions. Think of a V8 engine...you can remove and install the distributor in any one of multiple tooth positions, just as long as you can get the distributor so it fires the #1 plug when it's supposed to.
                        You can use a timing light with the adjustable dial on it to fine tune it. Once you figure out how they work, you can set timing advance easily.

I agree about the FMS header as well. You can expect to lose some low-end grunt with it, however, it sounds to me like you have some fuel or timing issues. I would not install the FMS cam until you get this figured out, just because I think it will only make it more difficult to figure out. What about O2 sensor(s) and position on the header? Is the Aspire (OBD-I or II?) more sensitive to such things? Fuel pressure and/or regulator functioning correctly? Is the Aspire an ATX?

Just trying to help you guys with some "brainstorming"....good luck!
                        Last edited by blkfordsedan; 06-19-2012, 09:28 AM.
                        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                        62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                        Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

The aspire is obd1 and a five speed.I managed to get the distributor turn farther and it runs better but not 100percent. Thank you all for your help and suggestions.
                          New build on the way .

Comment

the obd1 aspire ecu and electronics are still miles different than the B6/B8/VAF BP. They are much closer to a B6D with MAF, Z5, and newer BP's with MAFs.
                            89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
                            94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
                            2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
                            1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Okay ,that's good info .
                              I switched intakes so I'm running the aspire so I didn't have all that to worry with .
                              New build on the way .

Comment

Working...
                              X