start/run/stall issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• start/run/stall issue

OK. I have a start/run/stall issue. Car will run for a few minutes and then cut out. It will not usually restart for awhile. If I jumper the fuel pump test connector it will start/run/stall but it will immediatly restart and continue the process of starting/stalling.

My question is, When jumping the fuel pump test connection does this bypass everything that would control the fuel pump (VAF and Relay)? I can only assume that my issue is fuel related since jumping the test connector improves the starting process but does not fix it. I cannot get it to run long enough to do a running fuel pressure test.

The filter was new a couple months ago and the pump was a swap from a car that has been parked for a couple years but was fine when parked.

I am at my wits end, I have replaced new

Plugs
    Wires
    Cap
    Rotor
    PCV
    Air Cleaner
    Cleaned Fusible link connections and replaced with new style links

And Swapped with assumed good

VAF
    Fuel Pressure Regulator
    TPS
    IAC
    MAP Sensor
    Coil
    Ingnition Module
    Distributor

I have cleand all the grounds I can find in the engin bay, I just learned the fuel pump ground is on the inertia switch. I will clean that tonigh. I ordered a new pump/strainer and filter but it will take a few days to get here.. The only thing I have not changed (I think)is the coolant temp sensor) I am looking for any insight on what I am missing.

Thank for all the replies to previous posts.

Richard

Jumping the fuel pump test connector only bypasses the VAF fuel pump switch. You might want to check for 12V at the pump connection green/yellow wire. Test connector jumped, key on.

Comment

start/run/stall issue

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
      Jumping the fuel pump test connector only bypasses the VAF fuel pump switch. You might want to check for 12V at the pump connection green/yellow wire. Test connector jumped, key on.
      I can hear the pump running constanlty with the test connector jumpered even when it stalls, can't I assume I have power there if that is the case? If I have less than 12 volts what would you suggest?

Richard

Comment

Out in left field question, but how much charge does your battery have?
        In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
        There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Start/Run/Stall Issue

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
          Out in left field question, but how much charge does your battery have?
          Well, I would dare say it is not fully charged with all of the testing I have been doing. It does appear to be still cranking over as well as always.. I can throw a charger on it. What are you thinking a low battery would be doing?

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by ratorrey View Post
            I can hear the pump running constanlty with the test connector jumpered even when it stalls, can't I assume I have power there if that is the case? If I have less than 12 volts what would you suggest?

Richard
            If you can hear it run then that's not the problem.

Comment

Working...
            X