This looks broken (intake question).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This looks broken (intake question).

I am preparing to swap a B8 engine from a 91 Protege into my Festiva and I discovered something as I removed the top part of the intake to get better access to the wiring harness. There is a part on the bottom that looks obviously broken. Looking at the top part there is a gap (where the rib does not connect over to the side) as if there was supposed to be some air flowing through that portion where the bottom part is chipped away. So I am not sure what kind of problem this may cause or have caused in the process of being broken. Any ideas or concerns I should be aware of? The engine came from a salvage yard and was stored in a shed so I have no real history on it. I have not fished around to find the broken piece or pieces yet.

If you decide to use it make sure there are no cracks that would let
    another chip loose...You think cheap gas knocks...
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Don't look now but shouldn't there be 4 of those big holes? It's a 4 cyclinder engine?
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

It appears to be part of a variable intake system/resonance chamber
        1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
        High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
        Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

Are the edges shiny where it appears broken? follow down that hole to find any missing pieces. Remove the intake from the block. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone. It does appear that whatever has been cracked and chipped away is not in danger of chipping anymore. So that is one good sign. I plan to take the bottom portion of the intake off the block and locate any loose parts.

It sure does look like a 3-banger the way I took those pictures... Like the ole' Subaru Justys I used to beat around. The only thing I like better about them vs. the Festiva was the optional 4 wheel drive!

Comment

I got the rest of the intake removed today and there is no sign of broken pieces. Upon close examination the pieces that are missing may have been ground away instead of being chipped (as in, someone had done it on purpose) which would explain why there are no remnants of them. But why someone would do that is beyond me unless they know something that I am unaware of.

Comment

Working...
              X