Idle speed too low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle speed too low

My festiva is idling way too low(200 rpm according to the tach) Any ideas why its doing this? I know a vacuum leak can cause a high idle, but not sure what causes a low idle

Sounds like your tach may be off, have you tried verifying with an external tach of some sort? 200 RPMs is barely enough to keep the engine running, it would die a LOT if it was really at 200. Is this an EFI or carbed car? And other than the idle does it run ok when you are driving it?
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

does this happen when anything else is running ??? mine drop when the lights are on or if something else (AC) is going, but not that low
      He said a bad word :nono:

1990 Festiva
      1987 F-250 diesel-powered
      1984 Ironhead Chopper
      1999 Ducati Monster

Comment

On a carburetted model turning the idle adjusment screw can make it idle too slow.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Same thing with an EFI... plus there are other different variables that can affect it depending on whether its EFI or carb.
          No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Mine is a '90 EFI model. Haven't tried an external tach. It runs great except idle. It doesn't stall very often, but idle doesn't sound too healthy. It surges a bit. If i give it a tiny amount of throttle, it idles fine. I don't think the idle screw was tampered with. Maybe the IAC is somewhat blocked? I think the car was mostly city driven, so I'm thinking the engine has some carbon buildup.

Comment

I notice that the idle can also change from season to season(i.e. summer lower idle/winter higher). so If it was last set in the winter (cold here in Illinois) it may need to be adjusted again.
              89' Maroon and black Festiva LX with a sunroof. :alien:

Comment

Originally posted by Cheapo View Post
                Mine is a '90 EFI model. Haven't tried an external tach. It runs great except idle. It doesn't stall very often, but idle doesn't sound too healthy. It surges a bit. If i give it a tiny amount of throttle, it idles fine. I don't think the idle screw was tampered with. Maybe the IAC is somewhat blocked? I think the car was mostly city driven, so I'm thinking the engine has some carbon buildup.
                same with mine, bump it and it idles better, and weather condition affect it as well, someone once mentioned o2 sensor could affect this,
                He said a bad word :nono:

1990 Festiva
                1987 F-250 diesel-powered
                1984 Ironhead Chopper
                1999 Ducati Monster

Comment

Working...
                X