Dip Stick Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dip Stick Reading?

I really can't figure out what this dipstick says, and I want to make sure I have enough oil in my Festiva. I know there isn't any oil on the dipstick in this picture, I wiped it off so you guys can see the markings.

I know the F must mean full, and the L must mean empty, what do the markings mean in the middle? add 1? I'm curious.

There's a full line and and an add .8 liter mark. No empty mark.

Comment

Neither the owner's manual nor the Haynes manaul mentions the 0.8 mark or shows it in the diagrams. Owner's manual just says keep the level close to the "F" mark. Haynes manaul says it takes 1L (1.06Q) to raise the level from "L" (low) to "F" (full). Both say don't let it drop below the bottom mark or go above the "F" mark.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Festiva manual says, if on L add 1.0q, you should just do a full oil change and do a really precise measurement of the oil you put in, and see where that adds to the dip stick.

P.S. wire brush that drip stick, you'll see the oil easier.
        Hodginsa - Photography - Cars, people, everything.

Festy is For Sale...

Comment

Thanks guys.

I had no idea it was a 0.8 mark, I thought it was something Korean LOL.

Comment

Its good to be accurate but I have seen these way above and a little low with no
            reported or known noises, problems or ill effects. BUT cars with a lot of wear
            may get lifter tap if the level is not kept at or a little above the full mark.
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

As an aside, my owner's manual says 3.5 qts but I always dump in the full 4qts I have open while changing oil and filter. This takes it slightly over the F mark. I have not noticed any ill effects such as foaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                Its good to be accurate but I have seen these way above and a little low with no
                reported or known noises, problems or ill effects. BUT cars with a lot of wear
                may get lifter tap if the level is not kept at or a little above the full mark.
                You may have not seen anything just normal driving, but it only takes a long sweeping on-ramp to the highway with low oil to starve it enough to do some damage.
                Hodginsa - Photography - Cars, people, everything.

Festy is For Sale...

Comment

Working...
                X