CV Joint Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CV Joint Debate

My dad and I have been having a fierce debate the last couple days. Let me explain.

I bought the car off my dad in September. He had it since around 2000, and bought it with only 50,000 Km. At the time, there was a noticeable noise when turning left (like a creak, almost a vibration type noise). My dad, being the type not to maintain things and just drive till it breaks, ignored the issue. (this is a guy who doesn't change oil unless provoked using firearms....thank goodness I harassed him all these years...)

Fast forward to today. The creaking noise still exists, but it has gotten a whole lot worse lately. Also, (its a 5 speed) when I'm trucking around town in low gear, the car makes a similar noise just after a shift (when I shift 1>2 and 2>3) Since the noise comes after a shift, my dad blames the noise on my shifting, which I know is not true. I don't think it has anything to do with the trans, it's got to be a CV joint. Anyways, he maintains that "since he left it alone for all these years, whatever it is will never break" and I argue that it should be fixed.

Long story short, do you all think it is the CV? If so, is it something a 17 year old kid and his dad can fix? I read the how-to on ProjectMazda, but I'm not sure if I can do it.

Any comments would be welcome!
    A Festiva saved my life.
    Former owner of a '93 L.
    Rolled her at 120 km/h and walked away.
    R.I.P. "747"

The CV will sound worse when you are accelerating or engine braking. This might be why it only happens after a shift.

Changing the axle isn't difficult at all.
    OX SMASH!!

Comment

Re: CV Joint Debate

Originally posted by Vel Crowe
      noise when turning left (like a creak, almost a vibration type noise).

Fast forward to today. The creaking noise still exists, but it has gotten a whole lot worse lately. Also, (its a 5 speed) when I'm trucking around town in low gear, the car makes a similar noise just after a shift

Long story short, do you all think it is the CV?
      Can you make the noise simply by pushing the front of the car up and down? Try it with the wheels turned both ways. If so, it might be a bad strut, or a bent body part rubbing on something.

Is the rubber boot on the joint split open?

In an empty parking lot, drive in slow tight circles - you will be able to feel a bad CV joint in the steering wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave G
        In an empty parking lot, drive in slow tight circles - you will be able to feel a bad CV joint in the steering wheel.
        I've done this. I can most certainly feel feedback through the wheel.

I'm pretty convinced that this is the problem, I'm just scared I might not be able to fix it myself. I'm going to university this fall and I would rather fix it myself then fork over cash to get it done.
        A Festiva saved my life.
        Former owner of a '93 L.
        Rolled her at 120 km/h and walked away.
        R.I.P. "747"

Comment

I'm pretty convinced that this is the problem, I'm just scared I might not be able to fix it myself. I'm going to university this fall and I would rather fix it myself then fork over cash to get it done.

Relax. There's not much you can't do to a Festiva!

When I got my first one I knew nothing about cars, but decided to pull out the shop manual and replace stuff for the heck of it.

Two years later I successfully rebuilt the engine on Festiva #3.

Don't be scared to try. These cars are very forgiving and a BLAST to work on!

Regards,

Tim
          White '89L auto - Sold!
          Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave G
            I've done this. I can most certainly feel feedback through the wheel.

I'd like to encourage you to do this yourself but if you have limited experience working on cars I'd take it to a shop that does CV axles ... this can be a difficult part to remove and may take considerable force (or it can come out easily) ,,, the reman axle is about $69 or so if you do it yourself ... I had the left axle on mine changed for $100 at a specialty shop that just does CV axles ... they didn't have my axle in stock so they rebuilt it on the spot.. for me this was a much better option..

This may still be a strut bushing clunking around and not a CV... if your not sure have an experienced mechanic/friend drive the car.. it'll save you $$$.

Comment

Working...
            X