no start-bad gas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no start-bad gas?

I can get the car to start with some ether, and after it runs for a few seconds, it will idle for about 10-20 seconds before it stalls. If you step on the gas without ether it just dies. Just some bad gas? The timing and everything sounds good, revs good with ether, but it sounds like a massive exhaust leak after 3k RPM. The front main seal is totally shot, I don't know how much it leaks, but it splattered quite a bit all over the hood and firewall. That wouldn't have totally cooked anything would it? It has/is holding oil in the good range, it looks fresh, but that's probably because it uses as much oil as it does gas judging by the amount of splatter.
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Maybe a bad fuel pump?
    "Today, no American family can be secure against the danger that one of its children may decide to become an artist"

-Garrison Keillor

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
      I can get the car to start with some ether, and after it runs for a few seconds, it will idle for about 10-20 seconds before it stalls. If you step on the gas without ether it just dies. Just some bad gas? The timing and everything sounds good, revs good with ether, but it sounds like a massive exhaust leak after 3k RPM. The front main seal is totally shot, I don't know how much it leaks, but it splattered quite a bit all over the hood and firewall. That wouldn't have totally cooked anything would it? It has/is holding oil in the good range, it looks fresh, but that's probably because it uses as much oil as it does gas judging by the amount of splatter.
      u might want to get a new seal. is there oil in your radiator? head gasket maybe. if car is a carby,check carb for broken or loose lines. if u suspect bad gas,drain tank,refill with new gas and change fuel filter. luck to ya.

Comment

What vehicle?
        Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
        93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
        91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
        93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
        15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
        88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

check your fuel lines, could be backwards.

ask me how I know... lol

or a plugged fuel filter.
          89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
          94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
          2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
          1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

I believe he is talking about his newly acquired Aspire that he got from Codex.

Comment

Do the FPR test buddy! Also, that aspire I picked up on the other site a while back, the seal on the cam was actually floating around on the shaft between where it was supposed to be in the head and the cam cog! It wasn't even in it's hole and yet the thing looked like it was new! It's amazing how much oil would pump out of there without the seal.
              That would also represent a pretty large fresh air leak as well if you think of it.
              Last edited by iceracerdude; 06-25-2012, 03:27 PM.
              97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
              CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
              Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Thanks for the replies and ideas guys, I only had about an hour to mess with it today, but I have tomorrow off so ill be getting into it pretty deep and fixing everything I can.

Yea Rick, this is the 94 aspire I bought from codex. It's going to need some work..but the price reflects that, I just wish it didn't have so much cancer.

Aaron, I did check to make sure the fuel lines were on right lol, ask me how I know .. the return comes off the fpr right?

Icey, that may be an option for the leak, the covers are still on it in one piece! I pulled the vacuum line off the fpr and didn't see any fuel in there.

The fluid/levels all look good, no water in the oil that i can tell, or vice versa. They actually look almost too good, I think it may have straight antifreeze in it.

I didn't touch the fuel filter, ill swap it out with my spare and see if it helps. I'll grab a bottle of the fuel saver stuff and dump it in the tank, maybe some octane booster too. Either the fuel gauge is broken or its sitting with almost 10 gallons of fuel in it..ill pop the little hatch and find out tomorrow before I do anything else.. I'm assuming the disty, plugs, and wires (ignition) are all good, it did want to idle by itself for a minute.
                Last edited by zoom zoom; 06-25-2012, 04:07 PM.
                2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Working...
                X