Clear All

• Fluffy did what??

Fluffy, the new white 89 auto went back out on the paper route
    through the hills in town last night. It was frosty so they had the
    heater on high . The heater blower started going off and on for
    no reason, then the car started to get hot. The radiator fan did
    not come on. They turned the car off and added water, to replace
    what came out when they took the cap off. :nono: darn kids
    should know better..After that it was fine the rest of the night.
    Now I have to go get her and try and figure this one out. The
    coolant was not low when I dropped the car off and there are
    no leaks...I am wondering if this whole thing could be an electrical
    issue?
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

I hear its hard to read "Don't Open when Hot, Under Pressure"

Maybe some ground is loose? Weird combination of events, two things that could cool the motor went finicky at the same time!
    Hodginsa - Photography - Cars, people, everything.

Festy is For Sale...

Comment

I did some checking on the wiring and the fuse for the radiator fan and the fuse for the blower motor are both fed by the same wire from the ignition switch. I couldn't get it
      to act up so I felt for heat behind the fuse box and at the ignition switch with every
      thing turned on. Nothing..any engine replacing stuff will have to wait until I
      find this, too risky! Any similar experience ?

Comment

check to see if the fan is plugged in, no lie, happened to me, plug came loose
        He said a bad word :nono:

1990 Festiva
        1987 F-250 diesel-powered
        1984 Ironhead Chopper
        1999 Ducati Monster

Comment

plugged in and working! I just topped everything and sent it back out.
          On the all night paper route.

Comment

Originally posted by hodginsa View Post
            I hear its hard to read "Don't Open when Hot, Under Pressure"

Maybe some ground is loose? Weird combination of events, two things that could cool the motor went finicky at the same time!
            Shouldn't have to read, they should know!!! Further questioning was they
            had pulled the plastic bottle lid, then the radiator cap started releasing a lot.
            It did burn my daughters boyfriend on his arm. After it cooled some they added water to the plastic bottle and never did remove the radiator cap.

When they restarted the car the cooling fan came on and the heater fan
            worked normally the rest of the night. It worked normally last night.
            All I can say for now is I am suspicious of the terminal inside
            the ignition switch that feeds those two things. It is the only thing big
            enough to hide burn damage from a bad connection, especially on
            circuits with that heavy of a load.

It never happened to me but I have not really needed the heater during
            the day as it has been in the 60's here, but they have needed it as it has
            been frosty at night..

Comment

I had the car do that once before when the ignition switch did not return all the way back to on after i started it and let go of the key. The heater fan, cooling fan or the wipers would not work. I never had it happen again but i always made sure the key was all the way back to on after i started it. I didnt even think about it again till i read your post here. You might spray some lube in the switch itself. I think it was from sitting and now it has been sitting again for a bit.

Comment

Hi !! Adding to it my keys are almost the same cut , I have been leaving them
                with the key to the red one as its new and tougher, but when i use it it seems to drag in
                the lock, I had to even more so turn it to the position it should be in. The wipers
                are fed by the same terminal, I bet that is it and I made it worse. Thanks!! I will
                send out one of the original keys and also tell them what the problem is. I have
                a new switch for the red one. When I get the eagle back to them I will add that
                to the list. My wife loves the car and is looking forward to driving it with hand controls.

Comment

could be the switch, sometimes they just wear out, happened on my motorcycle
                  He said a bad word :nono:

1990 Festiva
                  1987 F-250 diesel-powered
                  1984 Ironhead Chopper
                  1999 Ducati Monster

Comment

Wore out on our old F150 (1996ish) my dad works construction and has a massive key ring that wore out something in the switch and we were stranded because it wouldn't start.
                    Owner of:
                    1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
                    In progress:
                    BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

x 2 on the switch not returning . Its happin to me several times and always on a cut key !!!
                      New build on the way .

Comment

Working...
                      X