Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!

So, last night I heard a slight purr from my motor, nothing too loud or bad. I didn't think much of it. Of course, after I got home that night I checked all the fluids, gauges, etc. and everything seemed fine. So, today I took the festy and was going to my storage shed. When I made it there, it started making weird cracking noises, and I once again looked at the gauges and fluids and everything was good. After I was done with my business at the shed, I started up the car and began pushing the gas to do and it let out this nasty grinding/crunching sound. I looked under the hood with the car running and noticed that the fan wasn't running, and every time the gas was hit (my brother was in the car while I was under the hood) the engine shaked all over along with making that nasty sound I previously described. Thankfully I had my two trucks in the shed, and I left the festy at the shed and took one of the trucks home.

I haven't had time to seriously dig under the hood, but does anybody have any idea what it could be? I will probably post a video later so you guys can get the full look.

check the timing belt along with any other belts...(didn't know if you have air our not). Could also be the alternator bearings or the water pump. The fan not running is no big deal unless it was hot enough for it to run but it wasn't. That would not cause the noise described.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

also see if it might be the throw out bearing. i have had some of them make some god awful noises before.
      93 Festiva L White B6T
      99 Dodge Ram STL Green Cummins. AKA the Jolly Green Giant
      89 Festiva Blue
      91 Green “Mad Maxine” Festiva B6T
      93 Festiva GL Black BP automatic
      93 Festiva GL Green stock

Comment

You can use a 4' length of hose (eg garden hose) in the ear or a stick of wood held against the bone beside the ear to locate a noise by putting the other end agains the engine in different places.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

If the noises are really bad for one thing don't drive the car anywhere. Pull the plugs and do a compression test. That'll tell you if some internals are screwed up (broken valve spring. broken spark plug etc). The fact that you say the motor is shaking (ie distinct 'miss') is already something to take note of.

A spun throw out bearing should only make noise when the clutch is disengaged although it could well be so far out of adjustment that it's always engaged and in fact this has caused it to wear out.

Comment

There are too many things missing.. all you will get are guesses..hopefully lucky
            ones. You do have the fact that the noise is progressing rapidly. We do not have your
            perception of where it is. The frequency, and how the frequency responds to RPM.
            The noise itself..One sided or rise and fall. Like yiK yiK yik or yiKya yiKya..
            The video would be great if the audio is good. anybody wanting to comment on the
            noises should probably start a new thread...
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
            X