Ball joints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ball joints

How do you get your steering rack ball joints out of the spindle arm?

Originally posted by denguy View Post
    take the nut off and use a 3# sledge and rap the end of the spindle quickly and sharply....it may take a couple of hits but if you do it right it will pop right out.
    If you are replacing the ball joints then it does not matter and you can just hit the ball joint stud itself and break it loose, or use a fork tool to separate it.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by denguy View Post
      They are called tie rod ends.

Comment

Tie rods often pop loose through application of a sharp smack with a big hammer. But make darn sure you spin the lock nut partially back on before you do this or the tie rod end threads will for sure be damaged.
        Sometimes tie rods are seized in place so tightly that a 'separator tool' (looks like a C clamp) will have to be beg/borrow/bought. Now if the tie rod is already toast (meaning the boot is ruined) then a "pickle fork" (the real name!) is just the ticket. If'n you can get replacement boots this is the quickest way to go.
        And...good luck!

Comment

Standard practice is to use a 2-prong puller to apply pressure then tap with a hammer to pop it free. If you are going without the puller a hammer and a punch might knock it free without damaging the end of the threaded part, or leave the washer on.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

So the hammering won't bend the spindle arm?

Comment

To bend the "spindle arm" you'd need to heat it in a forge.
              There are some photos at...
              Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Look at photos 53-57.
              Last edited by WmWatt; 07-02-2012, 06:22 PM.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
                take the nut off and use a 3# sledge and rap the end of the spindle quickly and sharply....it may take a couple of hits but if you do it right it will pop right out.
                If you are replacing the ball joints then it does not matter and you can just hit the ball joint stud itself and break it loose, or use a fork tool to separate it.
                should have said tie rod end and not ball joint
                89L Silver EFI auto
                91GL Green Auto DD
                I will sleep when I die!
                I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                  Tie rods often pop loose through application of a sharp smack with a big hammer. But make darn sure you spin the lock nut partially back on before you do this or the tie rod end threads will for sure be damaged.
                  Sometimes tie rods are seized in place so tightly that a 'separator tool' (looks like a C clamp) will have to be beg/borrow/bought. Now if the tie rod is already toast (meaning the boot is ruined) then a "pickle fork" (the real name!) is just the ticket. If'n you can get replacement boots this is the quickest way to go.
                  And...good luck!
                  Bert....you do not need to leave a nut on to pop the tie rod out when hitting the spindle, No reason the threads should come into play. Hitting the tie rod itself if you are trying to reuse it should never be done...with or without the nut...just asking for trouble. If totally replacing and you want to remove it...then why leave the nut on it at all....won't matter.

Have never had one so seized that it would not pop out when hitting the spindle arm, if you are doing it correctly.
                  89L Silver EFI auto
                  91GL Green Auto DD
                  I will sleep when I die!

Comment

^^ive screwed up threads on tie rods before from beating them out of the knuckles, so leaving the nut on would protect the threads on the tie rods

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
                      ^^ive screwed up threads on tie rods before from beating them out of the knuckles, so leaving the nut on would protect the threads on the tie rods
                      no no no....not talking about hitting the tie rod itself....you hit the spindle....maybe you have tried and had a deflection of some sort, this I could understand messing up the threads I guess.
                      89L Silver EFI auto
                      91GL Green Auto DD
                      I will sleep when I die!

Comment

Lol I had no plans to re-use the tie rod so I was beating on it directly lol

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
                          I have seen many people put the nut back on a frozen OBJ.Then beat the piss out of it & when it finally broke loose.They couldnt get the nut off because the BJ just spins.:nono: The best method I've found is to place a 5 lb. mini sledge on the top of the knuckle,directly adjacent to the BJ. Then beat on the BJ stud with a heavy plastic mallet. Try "Backing UP" the knuckle next time you do it. You'll be pleasantly surprised
                          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
                            no no no....not talking about hitting the tie rod itself....you hit the spindle....maybe you have tried and had a deflection of some sort, this I could understand messing up the threads I guess.
                            I have deflected and ruined the threads myself, using a larger hammer makes this less likely, as I can control a slower swing better.

I remember learning that trick from Festyboy. Same madness I met you, IIRC.
                            Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                            Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                            "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Actually i have popped out the bj from the sa by heating the sa with a propane torch and smacking the bj with a hamber. Always seemed kinda crude to me, but I was too cheap to buy the proper tool.

Comment

Working...
                              X