Electric Fan and Idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Fan and Idle

Can anyone tell me why my idle drops 2 or 300 rpm when the fan kicks on? Batery is good and Alternator is putting out 14+ volts wth a load on it.

Richard

Same thing happens if you turn on the headlights, something to do with the extra electical load.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

computer not able to operate idle speed control ? Does idle go high when first started
      then slow down gradually to base idle? That is an indicator that the idle speed control
      or IAC is working properly. You can search IAC or idle air control to learn more about
      it, its function is to maintain idle speed where ever the computer commands it to.
      You could have a failed iac valve or it maybe be out of adjustment.

If you are carbed there are similar controls but they are computer controlled
      vacuum switches running idle bumps, not as accurate but will still compensate
      idle when the engine has more load than usual on it.
      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

There is a magnetic drag created in the alternator that varies depending on how many electical devices you turn on in the car, the fan has one of the biggest draws, takes HP away from the wheels, costs gas as you press harder on the pedal to make up the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
          computer not able to operate idle speed control ? Does idle go high when first started
          then slow down gradually to base idle? That is an indicator that the idle speed control
          or IAC is working properly. You can search IAC or idle air control to learn more about
          it, its function is to maintain idle speed where ever the computer commands it to.
          You could have a failed iac valve or it maybe be out of adjustment.

If you are carbed there are similar controls but they are computer controlled
          vacuum switches running idle bumps, not as accurate but will still compensate
          idle when the engine has more load than usual on it.
          Yes, it goes to about 1200 when first started and down to 900 after a little bit. When in gear I have it set to idle at about 650. It only drops under heavy electrical load. I am thinking the stock 50a alternator is weak. Anyone here know if there is a 100a direct fit from another vehicle??

Comment

It happens withnewer cars with plenty of juice. With my headlights and cooling fan on, I have .5 less hg vacuum than when car is idling warm with those items off. Less vaccum pulled means less mpg
            1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

at what tempreture should the fan kick on?

Comment

Working...
              X